• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to live?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to live?

I've been contracting for a few years and can't see myself going perm again. It doesn't bother me that it's always required 3-4 days staying away from home, except for the long commutes of up to 5 hrs. I'm currently in the south west and it's time I base my home somewhere more suitable.

Any suggestions for a good location? No dependants to consider. Just need reasonable road/rail transport links (main potential client locations are widely scattered around Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bristol, London) and good countryside nearby for hiking and mountain biking at the weekend.

Swindon is really the best option. It trumps anything else. Some of CUK's most influential posters are based there and they have nothing but good things to say about the quality of life that you get there.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Swindon is really the best option. It trumps anything else. Some of CUK's most influential posters are based there and they have nothing but good things to say about the quality of life that you get there.
      Swindon's a dump and has absolutely nothing going for it.

If you want the SW I'd stay close to Bristol / Bath where there's good transport links and a bit of life.

Stray too far out into the sticks and it's full of retirees and downshifting middle aged hipsters from London. Dead in other words. Trust me, I know - I live in Dorset these days.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        Come join our merry gang bro!

Comment

Don't be parochial, move somewhere near an international airport.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Don't be parochial, move somewhere near an international airport.
            Luton Airport?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Luton Airport?
              Look what that did to Suity...

Comment

I hadn't seen this one!

I laughed!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeeton A Quiet Boy View Post
                  Stray too far out into the sticks and it's full of retirees and downshifting middle aged hipsters from London.
                  Hmmmm....inneresting....

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
                  Nowadays, the typical denizens of such properties are smug, downshifting hipsters from London

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                    Hmmmm....inneresting....
                    I believe you win the pot for the spot...

Shame there's feck all in it...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X