• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 weeks notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 weeks notice

Hello everyone, I am new here but was told there is lots of good advice and I am in a right pickle.

I joined a project a few months ago, and quickly became 'best mates' with the head of the project - a contractor himself who had also just joined. I then started to realise he really enjoyed causing trouble, and managed to engineer firing of a couple of contractors, for which he was really proud of himself - openly (to me anyway). It was almost a kind of sport. The more he got his feet under the table, the louder and more obnoxious he became - and always had a battle on the go with someone. To be honest, it didn't phase me until he started turning on me - embarrassing me at meetings, and telling me my views were wrong, talking over me, hijacking meetings I was running etc etc. I jokingly stood my ground as much as i could as I got on ok with everyone else. Then, over time my relationships with the client co staff went weird, i couldnt put my finger on it but they were different. This guy also turned on me big style - it was obvious he was coming for me next. I kept my head down and to be honest worked remote to keep away from him to try not to show any vulnerability.

Then suddenly out the blue I got a glee filled call from him (from a car park) telling me client co are terminating my contract because of something I'd said a month ago (I couldn't ever recall it) They had all got together and decided i do not fit in with the team.

I'm devastated but I think it's more shock than anything. I was quite enjoying the project and it was a long one. Now it feels they want to twist the knife a bit more insisting I go site during my notice period to provide them with some training (there is lots of skype and remote working at this company) and it would be all of those people who have allegedly gotten together and decided I need to go. The thought of seeing these people again, is really really chewing me up and there is every chance I will just crumble in front of them. I am terrified if I refuse to go, they will terminate the notice period, but maybe this is what they want? I am not sure how the land would lie if I refuse to travel, but happy to do the sessions on skype. I could make up some lie but this isn't my style and they are bound to see through it. I would really appreciate any advice. ps I am a long term contractor and never had anything like this before. I also just went into my war chest to get some house works done so it's even more unbearable that I need to try and find something quickly. I do know I'm lucky to have a notice period btw, and very grateful for it.

Thanks

Sounds like a very normal contract to me. What exactly is your question?
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

If he knew anything about contracting he'd know you notice means nothing and he can walk you on the spot. You are paid per day to do work. If the client asks you not to do the work you don't get paid. Effective instant termination.

Never rely on a notice period as a contractor.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy53 View Post
        Hello everyone, I am new here but was told there is lots of good advice and I am in a right pickle.

I joined a project a few months ago, and quickly became 'best mates' with the head of the project - a contractor himself who had also just joined. I then started to realise he really enjoyed causing trouble, and managed to engineer firing of a couple of contractors, for which he was really proud of himself - openly (to me anyway). It was almost a kind of sport. The more he got his feet under the table, the louder and more obnoxious he became - and always had a battle on the go with someone. To be honest, it didn't phase me until he started turning on me - embarrassing me at meetings, and telling me my views were wrong, talking over me, hijacking meetings I was running etc etc. I jokingly stood my ground as much as i could as I got on ok with everyone else. Then, over time my relationships with the client co staff went weird, i couldnt put my finger on it but they were different. This guy also turned on me big style - it was obvious he was coming for me next. I kept my head down and to be honest worked remote to keep away from him to try not to show any vulnerability.

Then suddenly out the blue I got a glee filled call from him (from a car park) telling me client co are terminating my contract because of something I'd said a month ago (I couldn't ever recall it) They had all got together and decided i do not fit in with the team.

I'm devastated but I think it's more shock than anything. I was quite enjoying the project and it was a long one. Now it feels they want to twist the knife a bit more insisting I go site during my notice period to provide them with some training (there is lots of skype and remote working at this company) and it would be all of those people who have allegedly gotten together and decided I need to go. The thought of seeing these people again, is really really chewing me up and there is every chance I will just crumble in front of them. I am terrified if I refuse to go, they will terminate the notice period, but maybe this is what they want? I am not sure how the land would lie if I refuse to travel, but happy to do the sessions on skype. I could make up some lie but this isn't my style and they are bound to see through it. I would really appreciate any advice. ps I am a long term contractor and never had anything like this before. I also just went into my war chest to get some house works done so it's even more unbearable that I need to try and find something quickly. I do know I'm lucky to have a notice period btw, and very grateful for it.

Thanks
        Sadly, you've got a right couple of trolls who have chipped into your post.

This character sounds a real nasty piece of work who loves to ingratiate himself with the client by whatever means including running down fellow contracters.

Unfortunately, beyond physical violence towards him, there is very little you can do, you either go in or refuse.

Personally, Id only go in on the pretext of having a meeting with the permie people and him about a handover then, lay out all the dubious practices this guy has pulled. Highlight the number of fellow contractors he has made a case against to force their termination. It would be best having some very good examples at hand to use.

Then, I tell them there was no way I was going to do a hand over, training or whatever due to this guy, wish them a good day and leave the building. Obviously the above is a little tongue in cheek but what is the realistic alternative?

Do you really want to go in and let this guy make your life miserable for the next 4 weeks and give him the opportunity to belittle you at work? No way. Best idea is to look for something else and move on.

Comment

Not good. Sounds like a Pig in a Poke to me.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Eventually this bully will receive his comeuppance, they forever isolate themselves as a figure to be avoided, moral dives amongst colleagues, people leave as he will himself but not before the project his been run into the ground. This is my experience. There is no advantage for you to attempt to discredit him no matter your furry. That's for his employer to discover.

My advice, look for a new gig now while you have the luxury of time and paid work rather than a instant phone call 'can you come to my office for a minute?' on one Friday morning.
            Last edited by scooterscot; 7 April 2018, 20:25.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Not good. Sounds like a Pig in a Poke to me.
              You have access to the IP records, I presume...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                You have access to the IP records, I presume...
                He also has access (supervised) to the kitchen drawers, but do you think that means he knows one end of a slotted spoon from the other?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  He also has access (supervised) to the kitchen drawers, but do you think that means he knows one end of a slotted spoon from the other?
                  Why a slotted spoon? - is this some reference to an occult mod ritual involving squirrels, chickens, aprons and slotted spoons? - with the occasional cyclist thrown in?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    In his world the concept of arses and elbows remains a mystery...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X