• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ir59i - flatten company bank account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ir59i - flatten company bank account

Hi,
    I need some help here -
    We run our company with a credit balance in the bank. At the start of the year we
    give all the directors salary/dividends or only dividends so we all stay under the 40%
    tax bracket. Our company was not liable for IR35 so with the introduction of ir591
    are we better flattening the cash reserves and taking the exta personal tax hit or
    just keep doing what we do and pay the 8% extra next year?

Thanks
    Kobie.

I guess we won't know the answer to that one until after the Budget, when we *may* find out exactly what IR591 entails.
    One of the accountants will probably be along shortly to confirm. What does your accountant say?

Comment

brevity is not his middle name but it lI belive that he said that if we take it out now then we will pay an extra 22.5-8=14.5%.
      Where the 22.5 is the difference between standard and upper tax limit and 8% is the ir591 %age.
      Kobie

Comment

Where did he get the IR591 %age from? No details have been published afaik, only "proposals".

Comment

Assumption I believe - 8% is what sole traders pay, plus 1% when the hit 40%.
          I think I maybe too early with this question but I'd like to start planning just in case.

Comment

My accountant seems to think it will be 8%; probably some ICAEW newsletter suggesting so. Still a complete guess at the mo but not long to wait!

Comment

The 8% is pure speculation but it's what we're expecting.

No-one will really know for sure until March 17th.

Darren

Comment

Working...
              X