• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Joint Strike Fighter Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint Strike Fighter Plan B

The UK should not agree to a US deal to buy the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter unless the US releases details allowing independent operation, MPs have warned.
    The defence committee said an assurance was needed from the US "by the end of the year" that all the technical information would be given to the UK.

Earlier this year, the government expressed concerns about the deal.

'Plan B'

The US will account for the lion's share of the Lockheed Martin-designed plane, with 2,400 in service by 2027, while the UK is expected to take delivery of 138 fighters.

Britain's BAE Systems is one of the key players in the aircraft's development, and has pumped $2bn into the project.

It still remains unclear whether the US will agree to transfer the technology required to give the UK operational sovereignty of the aircraft.

The committee said if there is no deal by the end of the year, the government should focus on developing a "plan B" to acquire alternative aircraft.
    Any ideas what a Plan B could be?
    Dassault?
    Viggen?
    MIG?

Don't think we have the engineering skills or the funds to go it alone anymore
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll
    Dassault?
    Viggen?
    MIG?

TSR2

Comment

Dassault?
      Viggen?
      MIG?

Outsource to the Indian Air Force? You know it makes sense
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
        TSR2
        I have some bits in my loft.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

We have the skills, it's just the huge cost of developing a jet from scratch.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Dassault?
            Viggen?
            MIG?

Just buy Mirages, everybody else does.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
              We have the skills, .

Really? Where? We may be able to do jet engines, but where are all aerodynamics/aircraft design/avionics experts? Given that the last indigenous jets were built in the 60s, where would a budding aircraft engineer since then have got the experience?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

OK, task here for Threaded.

Design a Joint Services aircraft capable of VSTOL.

BTW, I wouldn't want to hover a JSF, they use the 8051 in their sensors...

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  Just buy Mirages, everybody else does.
                  Shouldn't that read:

Just buy mirages, everybody else does
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
                    We have the skills, it's just the huge cost of developing a jet from scratch.
                    There was an article recently that said BAE was now the biggest engineering employer in the UK... how times change
                    Last edited by Troll; 8 December 2006, 11:06.
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X