• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skip Rats - etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skip Rats - etiquette

So having some garden work done and have had a skip outside front of the house (on the driveway) being used to clear out the rubbish.

Being a considerate fellow anything of any use I have placed outside the skip on the boundary of my property for anyone to help themselves.

I have left out steel poles, old gas bar-b-q and other items for anyone to help themselves - we live opposite an entrance to some allotments so we have plenty of footfall.

However, I left out a large compost bin that was no longer required - complete with lid and plastic door for access. This was duly taken by someone (my brother spotted the lady taking it away and loading into her car) - that was about 2 weeks ago.

Low and behold this morning when I was leaving for work around 0600 the compost bin had been duly returned outside my house from around 8pm the previous evening (wasn't there when I came back from walking the dog) !!

Its like "thanks we took the compost bin but have decided to return it as we no longer need it!" Sorry but what is the etiquette here....once you've taken something that I am throwing out its yours (owners keepers and all that) and its a .

Problem being my skip has gone, I don't want the compost bin and if I dump it over at the allotments they'll know where it "originally" came from so now I have to go to the dump and recycle it there.

Tempted to leave a sarcastic note on the bin....anyone else experience similar?

Someone else may come and take it. Put a note on it saying "Free to loving home" or "Help yourself"
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Someone else may come and take it. Put a note on it saying "Free to loving home" or "Help yourself"

Sue love, I think you might have hit the nail on the head

picture the scene, the opportunistic pushy lady sees the compost bin, thinks it's out there for anyone to take away, knows that her and her husband could do with one, and zooms up in her car and takes it away

she gets it home, shows her husband and installs it in her garden

her husband then gets paranoid and says to the wife, are you really sure it was a free for all, what if they just put it there temporarily and now you've stolen it

what if they got our car details

the husband asks the wife if there was anything written on the compost bin saying that it was free to a good home

the wife says no

the husband says, we'd better return it under the cover of darkness and avoid getting a criminal record

and that's what they did,

so do as Sue says and put a note on it

Sue, milk and sugar please

Milan.

Comment

I think you would have more success if you put a note on it saying "Please do not take, it's my bin, leave it alone". Human nature.

Comment

Numerous studies have shown that if you put a nominal price on it it will go quicker. Put For sale 3 GBP and it will get stolen quickly.

Comment

Property ownership transferred when somebody took it. They have then fly tipped in on your property. Report it to the council saying that someone has dumped their compost bin on your property.

Or take it to the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Property ownership transferred when somebody took it. They have then fly tipped in on your property. Report it to the council saying that someone has dumped their compost bin on your property.

Or take it to the tip.
              Or pay some bloke in a white van £10 to take it to the tip, then you can have the privilege of seeing it on the side of the road every time you drive to Waitrose. Sorry, in your case, every time you take the bus to the food bank.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post

Or take it to the tip.
                Private land the council won't give a tulip.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DelboyTrotter View Post
                  So having some garden work done and have had a skip outside front of the house (on the driveway) being used to clear out the rubbish.

Being a considerate fellow anything of any use I have placed outside the skip on the boundary of my property for anyone to help themselves.

I have left out steel poles, old gas bar-b-q and other items for anyone to help themselves - we live opposite an entrance to some allotments so we have plenty of footfall.

However, I left out a large compost bin that was no longer required - complete with lid and plastic door for access. This was duly taken by someone (my brother spotted the lady taking it away and loading into her car) - that was about 2 weeks ago.

Low and behold this morning when I was leaving for work around 0600 the compost bin had been duly returned outside my house from around 8pm the previous evening (wasn't there when I came back from walking the dog) !!

Its like "thanks we took the compost bin but have decided to return it as we no longer need it!" Sorry but what is the etiquette here....once you've taken something that I am throwing out its yours (owners keepers and all that) and its a .

Problem being my skip has gone, I don't want the compost bin and if I dump it over at the allotments they'll know where it "originally" came from so now I have to go to the dump and recycle it there.

Interesting legal conundrum, but FWIW I'd say that whoever carted off your compost bin took full responsibility and ownership of it from that moment, and consequently in returning it later they are littering!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DelboyTrotter View Post

LOL! What goes around comes around, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X