• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension Payment: Missed year end deadline

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension Payment: Missed year end deadline

Yes, My fault I know - leaving things until the last minute.

Anyhow, I paid a lumpsum from my ltd account into my pension on 31 March (my year end) which was a Saturday. Statement shows funds coming out on 4th April.

Can I still include this in the intended year's accounts? I do actually have evidence that I made the payment on the 31st because the payment got blocked by anti fraud & I have a screenshot clearly showing the payment having been made on the 31st.

Thanks.

Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
    Yes, My fault I know - leaving things until the last minute.

Anyhow, I paid a lumpsum from my ltd account into my pension on 31 March (my year end) which was a Saturday. Statement shows funds coming out on 4th April.

Can I still include this in the intended year's accounts? I do actually have evidence that I made the payment on the 31st because the payment got blocked by anti fraud & I have a screenshot clearly showing the payment having been made on the 31st.

Thanks.
    Inneresting. Do you have any kind of professional adviser who may have some modicum of expertise in the field of accountancy?

Comment

If you ask your accountant, he will tell you that if you have a limited company you should know that you don't use cash basis accounting, you use accrual basis accounting. So it doesn't actually matter when the payment is made if you can prove it was due. So if you have any evidence (notification to pension provider, for instance) that the decision was made to make the payment on the 31st, you're fine.

He may also tell you that even if you were using cash basis accounting, if you could prove the payment was made on the 31st, you'd be fine.

If you wrote a cheque on the 31st and it didn't clear your account until the 4th, you'd still say you made the payment on the 31st.

Next year do it a couple days earlier. It won't make any difference for accounting purposes but it will save bandwidth on CUK.

Comment

Working...
      X