• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

English Ltd Co contractor working in Scotland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Ltd Co contractor working in Scotland?

If an English Ltd Co contractor (Ltd Co registered in England) lands a couple of years work in Scotland, commutes up there each week to work then home at the weekends. Does he/she pay English tax or Scottish tax? And if some of the stuff is done WFH, then is English and Scottish tax levied pro rata? Seems very messy and uncertain to me and a mate I am trying to help out.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

I'm sure you've googled, but have you seen this

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-out...-of-income-tax
    (noddy guide)

or

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...nical-guidance
    (hmrc manual - guide to staff. May not always reflect law, but reflects how HMRC interpret the law)

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
      I'm sure you've googled, but have you seen this

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-out...-of-income-tax
      (noddy guide)

or

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...nical-guidance
      (hmrc manual a- guide to staff. May not always reflect law, but reflects how HMRC interpret the law)
      Thanks, yes, what confuses me is that generally you pay the tax where you work not where you live. But in this case it seems the other way round. It seems odd. For example, if you have a job over the border but live the other side of the border a few yards away, then the tax is based on where your house is not where you work. But if I work in Scotland, my house is in England, but stay four nights a week in a flat in Scotland, where do I "live"? It seems very ill thought through and very confusing to me.

Just to add, I think the Kilmarnock example makes you an English tax payer.
      Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 25 April 2018, 13:30.

Comment

It looks fairly clear to me

Your main home is usually where you live and spend most of your time. It doesn’t matter whether you own it, rent it or live in it for free.

Your main home may be the home where you spend less time if that’s where:

most of your possessions are
        your family lives, for example, if you’re married, in a civil partnership or a long-term relationship
        you’re registered for things like your bank account, GP or car insurance

you’re a member of clubs or societies

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
          It looks fairly clear to me
          Thanks, yes, what is very odd is the general rule that you pay tax where you work not where your house and family are. And here we have the exact opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Thanks, yes, what is very odd is the general rule that you pay tax where you work not where your house and family are. And here we have the exact opposite.
            If you working internationally, you may well find you pay tax where you work and where your home is.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              If you working internationally, you may well find you pay tax where you work and where your home is.
              Indeed. And I do. But not on the same money, since the dual tax treaties between the UK and other jurisdictions generally ensure that to be the case.

Comment

Apologies, Fred, didn't get back to this yesterday. Is it clearer now, in practice if not in theory?

It seems the Scottish Tax Rates rely on residence rather than location of work, which, as you say, is unusual viz international tax, but is ore akin to some of the principles we see in CGT around Main Residence. And that makes sense to a degree as this is a regional tax on residents rather than a tax on work / economic activity per se.

In a world in which a Chocolate Milkshake is vat free, but a Strawberry or Banana milkshake is vatable (tribunal earlier this year), alas tax seems to get more complex by the week.

Comment

In a world in which a Chocolate Milkshake is vat free, but a Strawberry or Banana milkshake is vatable (tribunal earlier this year), alas tax seems to get more complex by the week.
                  Good to know, we get asked this a lot!

Comment

Apologies, Fred, didn't get back to this yesterday. Is it clearer now, in practice if not in theory?

It seems the Scottish Tax Rates rely on residence rather than location of work, which, as you say, is unusual viz international tax, but is ore akin to some of the principles we see in CGT around Main Residence. And that makes sense to a degree as this is a regional tax on residents rather than a tax on work / economic activity per se.

Much appreciated Jessica. I was unaware of the milk shake farce actually (Jaffa cakes and the pasty tax spring to mind), but I have believed for a number of years that the entire UK tax system is now irretrievably broken due to persistent meddling and fiddling by successive chancellors. And it actually seems to be getting still worse now with the Scotland and England income tax stuff. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X