• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from The Bench vol. CDXXXV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from The Bench vol. CDXXXV

The rainfall radar shows the south east getting drenched, while the rest of the country isn't. Not so grim up north now, eh?
    • Ancient Mass Child Sacrifice May Be World's Largest - A grisly discovery by archaeologists in Peru: "Evidence for the largest single incident of mass child sacrifice in the Americas— and likely in world history—has been discovered on Peru's northern coast, archaeologists tell National Geographic. More than 140 children and 200 young llamas appear to have been ritually sacrificed in an event that took place some 550 years ago on a wind-swept bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, in the shadow of what was then the sprawling capital of the Chimú Empire."

• The First Computers in East Africa –and what became of them - The British Empire brings computing to Kenya: "Starting the machine in the morning required a huge surge in electrical power… this meant that the machine could not be switched on in the morning until we got the OK from the bakery up the road confirming that they had switched off their ovens. They baked bread during the night, and the local power distribution station could not take the load of having the ovens going at the same time as the HEC 1202 was switched on – it would blow up the transformer at the power station just up the road.”

• Dire Straits’ “Sultans Of Swing” Played on the Gayageum, a Korean Instrument Dating Back to the 6th Century - "Every now and then, we check in on the fascinating musical world of Luna Lee--a musician who performs Western music on the Gayageum, a traditional Korean stringed instrument which dates back to the 6th century. Over the years, we've shown you her adaptations of Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Voodoo Chile;’ David Bowie's ‘The Man Who Sold The World;’ Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah;’ blues classics by John Lee Hooker, B.B. King & Muddy Waters; and Pink Floyd's ‘Comfortably Numb,’ ‘Another Brick in the Wall’ & ‘Great Gig in the Sky.’ To keep the tradition going, today we bring you Luna's virtuoso take on Dire Straits' ‘Sultans Of Swing.’” You can find more of Luna’s work on her YouTube channel.

• Fossilized Human Footprint Found Nestled in a Giant Sloth Footprint - Remarkable evidence of a hunt 11,000 years ago: ”Ground sloths were not slow-moving slackers like the sloths we know today. They were well-armed and potentially dangerous animals, which ranged from bear-sized to elephant-sized… Bennett thinks the pursuer was trying to provoke the sloth—and if he’s right, it clearly worked. At the end of the overlapping tracks, the team found a very different series of sloth prints, indicative of pivoting feet and scraping claws. The animal was rearing up onto its hind legs, and swinging its claws around.”

• A Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics - "Physicists have discovered a jewel-like geometric object that dramatically simplifies calculations of particle interactions and challenges the notion that space and time are fundamental components of reality." Not sure I fully understand this, but “Amplituhedron” is an excellent name

• Robotron: Enter the Time Machine - ”What if by some miracle you were to find the holy grail? An entire warehouse full of new, unopened boxes of arcade video games from the Golden Age?… In 2006, someone stumbled across a warehouse in Gastown, Vancouver that had effectively been sealed shut in around 1983.” A British collector got a brand new, boxed Robotron 2084 cocktail cabinet from this cornucopia back in 2014:

• Structured Procrastination - "I have been intending to write this essay for months. Why am I finally doing it? Because I finally found some uncommitted time? Wrong. I have papers to grade, textbook orders to fill out, an NSF proposal to referee, dissertation drafts to read. I am working on this essay as a way of not doing all of those things." Philosopher John Perry on getting things done by putting off doing things that need to be done.

• The Sun's motion, reflected in the galaxy - "Yesterday, the European Space Agency did an astonishing thing: They released data from the Gaia mission, a space telescope that is mapping the positions, velocities, and colors of stars in the sky. Doesn’t sound like a big deal to you? Oh wait, I forgot to mention: They’ve got this data for 1.7 billion stars." Astronomer Phil Plait on some of the cool things we can already see from this data.

• 10 great horror films of the 1930s - "It was the decade that gave us defining versions of King Kong, Dracula and Frankenstein’s creature, but the 1930s were more than just a monster mash." Excellent list from Matthew Thrift at the BFI.

• Unique Images of Canary Wharf from the Late 80s to the Early 90s - "I was fortunate to recently receive a lot of photos taken in the West India and Millwall Docks during the decade from the late 1980s. They show the construction and topping out of 1 Canada Square, as well as many views from the top of that building which show what the Island and further afield looked like after the docks and factories had been cleared away, and before the frenzied construction of apartment blocks and office buildings commenced." This is a 1991 view of where the No Service Dome now stands.

And just in case that lot leaves you feeling a bit peckish, here’s norrahe’s recipe for Slow braised brisket in red wine

Happy invoicing!

Sultans, played well, is a thing of audio beauty.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

More EA ICT here:

Early East African Computers

Same guy, as it transpires.

Here's his site:

http://www.couperus.org

And the most interesting item is the Skool Bus:

http://www.couperus.org/Rolls/index.html

Bit more lively:

There's a Japanese lady playing "Back in Black" on some sort of drum, but it was so odd I didn't bother watching it all.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 April 2018, 13:45.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Thanks NF. You forget how new canary wharf is relatively.

Comment

Working...
        X