• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

on boarding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on boarding

Just landed a role with HSBC and been told that the on boarding will take 4 weeks. Is that normal. I've worked for a few banks but never had one tell me that it's going to mean I have to earn sod all for a 12th of the year before I can get on site. TBH the guy touched on it in the interview but he said it like it could be up to 4 weeks. What it actually is, is 4 weeks and possibly longer!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

find another role, see how fast HSBC want you onboard then?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sounds about right. I had a gig there in 2016 (Sheffield based) and on boarding took 4 weeks. It was August so I didn’t mind - weather was nice !

I was with Reed and they paid weekly so got paid promptly once I started.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
        Just landed a role with HSBC and been told that the on boarding will take 4 weeks. Is that normal. I've worked for a few banks but never had one tell me that it's going to mean I have to earn sod all for a 12th of the year before I can get on site. TBH the guy touched on it in the interview but he said it like it could be up to 4 weeks. What it actually is, is 4 weeks and possibly longer!
        4 weeks is 1/13 of a year if it makes you feel any better. Keep looking and you've got something in the bag if nothing better comes up in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          They want to check you out to see how are your drug money laundering skills.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ase-comes-end/
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It took me 5 weeks with Barclays, it was all down to the reference/background checking 3rd party, which were a bunch of useless cnuts.

The other 2 contractors working on the same project suffered similar delays, the last one which is/was supposed to join us at the beginning of March is still in limbo, poor sod had worked abroad for several months in the last 5 years and they are struggling to get the references required.

3 of these weeks overlapped with my previous contracts and the rate is good, plus a 25min commute, so worth it for me.
            Last edited by sal; 2 May 2018, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              It took me 5 weeks with Barclays, it was all down to the reference/background checking 3rd party, which were a bunch of useless cnuts.

3 of these weeks overlapped with my previous contracts so it wasn't that bad, the rate is good and it's 25min commute, so worth it for me.
              Super-sweet.

Comment

I am currently @HSBC and it took about 20 days. The process is outsourced and th main things are credit check, background check, work history for 5 years, education checks, personal reference check and Scotland background check. You have to keep badgering the guy assigned to your case on daily basis. I remember that they started me despite some tasks not fully complete but on the condition that they fully cleared later.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  I am currently @HSBC and it took about 20 days. The process is outsourced and th main things are credit check, background check, work history for 5 years, education checks, personal reference check and Scotland background check. You have to keep badgering the guy assigned to your case on daily basis. I remember that they started me despite some tasks not fully complete but on the condition that they fully cleared later.
                  Security checks are becoming common. Although they will then outsource work to foreign jurisdictions without any checks whatsoever.

Management becoming more bonkers by the day.

Comment

Im at HSBC now as well!

Comment

Working...
                    X