• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 month contract expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 month contract expenses

Hi, im new to contracting, and starting a 3 month contract away from home through my limited co. Its outside ir35.

To what degree can you tax deduct day to day living expenses like food?

Hmrc suggests if your contract is over 24 months then its considered a normal place of work so you cant claim things like subsistence.

For me though, virtually all my outgoings whilst away from home will be costs incurred because of the contract.

Thanks

Originally posted by chomps View Post
    Hi, im new to contracting, and starting a 3 month contract away from home through my limited co. Its outside ir35.

Hmrc suggests if your contract is over 24 months then its considered a normal place of work so you cant claim things like subsistence.

For me though, virtually all my outgoings whilst away from home will be costs incurred because of the contract.

Thanks
    It's a very broad question. I would suggest you take a look at https://www.contractoruk.com/expenses and ask you accountant (TM) and then come back with any specific queries.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      It's a very broad question. I would suggest you take a look at https://www.contractoruk.com/expenses and ask you accountant (TM) and then come back with any specific queries.
      ^ this or google 'contractor expenses'. Tons of very detailed guides out there that will answer 99.9% of your questions.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks
        You have to be very clear though. Your original post contradicts itself. You say day to day and then wholly and exclusively for the purpose of business. Too completely different things according to HMIT.

Many of the guides should be concise enough to make this differences clear to you though.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks
          Is the contract 24 months or more from the outset? Normally you can claim about 30 quid a day if staying over night away from home. If you are not staying away overnight, you can claim about 10 or 12 quid if you are away from home for more than 12 hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
            Is the contract 24 months or more from the outset? Normally you can claim about 30 quid a day if staying over night away from home. If you are not staying away overnight, you can claim about 10 or 12 quid if you are away from home for more than 12 hours a day.
            You shouldn't be claiming a blanket amount, you should be claiming for what you actually spend.

However this depends on contract length and the accommodation you live in when away from home.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X