• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B time??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B time??

Doomed. Better get those Plan B's ready No more IT in UK by 2016 or is it 2020?

From CUK's front page and yesterday's Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai.../09/cnit09.xml

Do you really think those Indian Cowboys will have worked out the difference between their arseholes and their elbows by 2016? Everything I've seen "produced" offshore in the last couple of years has looked nothing like the spec, and even then it didn't work.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Lets face it. Not going to happen.

The only reason that there are people not entering IT is that ages ago it was billed as the next greatest thing and every man and his Dog entered IT.

IT is like music. The good people are not taught but learn by themselves. My best mate was one like that. Never took an IT course in his life by can now program well in about 10 different languages and could easily contract...although he is running his own IT firm now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        IT is like music. The good people are not taught but learn by themselves.
        Yeah, I was about to post something like that. I'm sure there are people that go to university and "study IT", but most people I know seem to just like mucking about with web pages and ended up good enough to get a job doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
          Yeah, I was about to post something like that. I'm sure there are people that go to university and "study IT", but most people I know seem to just like mucking about with web pages and ended up good enough to get a job doing it.
          That's because most of european IT universities are rubbish. And most of professors in IT. Let's face it? Who in IT wanted to be a Professor for 25k while every graduates could get this money in the industry? Luckily for India/China the quality of university courses is still high.

"One industry source said: "UK graduates can't compete with the quality of India's technology graduates. The level of intelligence and attention to detail is lacking in UK staff coming through the education system.""
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko

"One industry source said: "UK graduates can't compete with the quality of India's technology graduates. The level of intelligence and attention to detail is lacking in UK staff coming through the education system.""
            You are kidding!
            You go into any call centre or help desk in India - and ALL the staff will be graduates, probably on their 2nd degree. BUT can they add a user to a group, and give them email access, without a script that covers every step, and then a days training gently explaining it all over again, and another day answering their questions. Those of us who have had to train them, can answer that!

Comment

I keep telling you, it doesn't matter, as 2016 is the latest date for the end of the world. Ask Chico, he knows.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Places I have been that used Indian test centres have had a lot of problems with crap work but it won't be too long before they sort their organisational problems out as the Indian individuals I have met have been pretty bright. I think we should nuke em while there is still time and pretend Pakistan or China did it. We could use all our old Trident missiles up.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think it's time we took a cue from Chico and offered up a prayer:

Dear Lord,
                  I know that sometimes we have ignored you,
                  but please allow us 10 more years of plenty
                  and good times for contractors everywhere.
                  Just long enough so that I can retire
                  and not have to ever step foot in an office again.

Amen

Comment

I would have expected this from the Sun, but the Telegraph?

Originally posted by Hart-floot
                    From CUK's front page and yesterday's Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai.../09/cnit09.xml
                    But don't miss the picture in the Telegraph article.

"A British student works through a maths equation"

Now look at the scribblings on the board.

You couldn't make this stuff up...
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X