• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you ever been arrested?, background screening question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever been arrested?, background screening question

In respect to a prospective IT Contract with an investment bank who are using an external background screening partner, are they entitled to ask the question i.e. Have you ever been arrested?

thanks
    Last edited by IPMAN; 19 May 2018, 17:57.

Originally posted by IPMAN View Post
    In respect to a prospective IT Contract with an investment bank who are using an external background screening partner, are they entitled to ask the question i.e. Have you ever been arrested?

thanks
    Yes

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      Yes
      And based on ROA 1974 are we allowed to lie?

Comment

You've a right to take your chances in this great democracy of ours
        arrested AND charged with an offence is the usual question though.

Comment

No.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

you Could be economical with the truth, but that's your call, depends on what you got busted for

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              you Could be economical with the truth, but that's your call, depends on what you got busted for
              Exactly. If the arrest was for drunk and incapable, then 'fess up. If it was for conspiracy to defraud a bank, then you should brush up on game theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Exactly. If the arrest was for drunk and incapable, then 'fess up. If it was for conspiracy to defraud a bank, then you should brush up on game theory.
                Arrest's and charges not proven don't matter. - convictions matter.
                like i said - take your chances

Comment

thanks
                  If you weren't charged, you're entitled to say "No". They have no way of finding out whether you were arrested, because that isn't recorded. If you were charged with a criminal offence, that will be recorded somewhere, but depending on how far back it was, it may well be lost in the annals of history. You'd be surprised how many youthful indiscretions are consigned to the dustbin of history because they couldn't be arsed to file the paperwork properly.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

An investment bank can request your criminal record, so you have no choice but to be honest. You could request it yourself, because if it was a longtime ago it may not exist.

https://www.gov.uk/find-out-dbs-check
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 May 2018, 09:44.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X