• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Growing Reluctance to Attend Face to Face Interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing Reluctance to Attend Face to Face Interviews

I guess this is a reflection on the current state of the IT contract market but I just CBA to travel long distance (2 hrs+) to attend a face to face interview.

I'm in the dog end days of a role & I've been considered for a role with an alternative energy supplier down in Birmingham.

They won't do telephone, they won't do Skype and insist in face to face. And that's their prerogative ...

But, as a contractor, it sets alarm bells ringing when the reason given is along the lines of "we want you to meet the guys, get a feel for what we're doing, see if you'll be a good fit for the team" etc etc...

Especially when I'd have to take a half day and lose money.

I think every role I've taken over the past 3 years has been off the back of a phone interview.

Don't even get me started on technical tests....

Don't do them then.

Comment

Originally posted by Man Utd View Post
      I guess this is a reflection on the current state of the IT contract market but I just CBA to travel long distance (2 hrs+) to attend a face to face interview.

I'm in the dog end days of a role & I've been considered for a role with an alternative energy supplier down in Birmingham.

They won't do telephone, they won't do Skype and insist in face to face. And that's their prerogative ...

But, as a contractor, it sets alarm bells ringing when the reason given is along the lines of "we want you to meet the guys, get a feel for what we're doing, see if you'll be a good fit for the team" etc etc...

I think every role I've taken over the past 3 years has been off the back of a phone interview.

Most businesses would at least have some form of face to face communication before agreeing a deal.....

Unless it really was not possible.

If they insist then ok get one on Monday morning so you can travel down on Sunday and then be back to normal client co on Tuesday.

Cmon man think outside the box.

Comment

Some times these face to face interviews are insisted upon by the agent and not the end client. All well and good for the agent as he does not lose half a day’s pay. Have a chat with agent and see if the end client can at least have an initial interview over the phone.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Don't think of the half day as losing money, think of it as marketing spend; you're a microconsultancy.

Not everything is that simple. Investment banks tend to insist on face to face, even if that is after an initial phone interview. It will also give you a sense of the effort to get to the client each day/week.

Why, are you crap at technical tests?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Have a chat with Andy Hallett and do one of his video profiles instead then. If you are young good-looking and charismatic I'm sure it will work out ok
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              If you are young good-looking and charismatic I'm sure it will work out ok
              Like nlady?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Why, are you crap at technical tests?
                Some of them require you to put together a full blown solution. Just not prepared to invest that amount of effort I guess.

Comment

Some of them require you to put together a full blown solution. Just not prepared to invest that amount of effort I guess.
                  You do have to be wary of being used as free technical consultancy - for that sort of thing, I've negotiated a day's rate as part of the interview a couple of times.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    You do have to be wary of being used as free technical consultancy - for that sort of thing, I've negotiated a day's rate as part of the interview a couple of times.
                    I've also been asked to attend a "working interview" in which I spend the day at one of the agent's clients and bill them my normal day rate at the end of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X