• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London (yet again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London (yet again)

Well its that time of year again, Yuletide, contract renewals etc, and time to ask the question, whether that better paid contract in London would be a good move, particularly when you get inundated with unsolicited calls.

Any views.

How's London, compared to Zurich, for example ?
    I'm alright Jack

helps if you speak Russian

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
      Well its that time of year again, Yuletide, contract renewals etc, and time to ask the question, whether that better paid contract in London would be a good move, particularly when you get inundated with unsolicited calls.

Any views.

How's London, compared to Zurich, for example ?
      These days London, well at least the City where i work, is full of Swiss & German's on the make (and take!) So you'll feel quite at home lol

Even heard it described as Zurich-on-Thames now that most of the asset management and dodgy no questions asked transactions of the worlds super-rich are done in London.

Comment

Can't be that bad then .
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Don't do it! Or rather before you do it, factor in:

* Increased working hours (if you're on a daily rate) having to work 10-11 hours instead of 8-9 suddenly makes the effective hourly rate look a lot less.

* Tax - at least 10-15 percentage points more

* Commuting - you need a hefty premium for having to suffer at the hands of Southwest trains, northern line, etc.

* Accommodation - there's more choice but it's more expensive.

Sure the gross daily rates look rather attractive, but the net difference is miniscule.

Comment

Mate has just scored a contract at Heathrow, 800/day + expenses and friday working from home - oop north. Have to be tempted for that !

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
              Mate has just scored a contract at Heathrow, 800/day + expenses and friday working from home - oop north. Have to be tempted for that !
              doing what? for whom?
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Hitman for the Kremlin. he succeeded in his first trial task ...
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
                  Isn't that where BT live on that sh*tty business park. I would rather stick an apple up my backside than work there. Grim isn't the word, sh*t is though.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
                    Don't do it! Or rather before you do it, factor in:

* Increased working hours (if you're on a daily rate) having to work 10-11 hours instead of 8-9 suddenly makes the effective hourly rate look a lot less.

* Tax - at least 10-15 percentage points more

* Commuting - you need a hefty premium for having to suffer at the hands of Southwest trains, northern line, etc.

* Accommodation - there's more choice but it's more expensive.

Sure the gross daily rates look rather attractive, but the net difference is miniscule.
                    Yup that's kinda what puts me off. Just got an offer of an interview but it sounds like "stress city". I haven't yet pushed the confirm button on the Easy Jet flight booking, and now the agent wants a "confirmation". still might go to have a look.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X