• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional website

Hi,
    I have recently moved from permanent job to contracting as Business Analyst and wondering whether building a professional website could help me make the difference on the market.
    Basically the website should better detail my skills, knowledge and experience, should be easier to navigate, focusing on fields of expertise, maybe showing some examples of potential deliverables and so on.
    Do you know anyone that has done this already? Would be nice to have something to compare with?

Any helo is highly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot,

Originally posted by fahbb View Post
    Hi,
    I have recently moved from permanent job to contracting as Business Analyst and wondering whether building a professional website could help me make the difference on the market.
    Basically the website should better detail my skills, knowledge and experience, should be easier to navigate, focusing on fields of expertise, maybe showing some examples of potential deliverables and so on.
    Do you know anyone that has done this already? Would be nice to have something to compare with?

Any helo is highly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot,
    My tip is; use a spell checker.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If it's done well it might help a little. If it's done badly it's going to hurt you big time. I've only met a tiny number of people with websites and they don't seem any more successful than good contractors without one so I've never bothered.

Concentrate on your CV and tailoring it to suit roles. Your major hurdle is some sausage factory agent key word checking and a website won't help that.

Maybe in the future when you are trying to do more than bum on seat contracting but not really needed for now.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Maybe in the future when you are trying to do more than bum on seat contracting but not really needed for now.
        What do you mean?
        In the future I would like to run my own business (kind of Consulting company), so surely the website would help with that and by doing this now I will be able to start to get feedback and enhance it.
        Have you got any examples of websites that would be possible for you to share in a private message?
        Thanks a lot.

Comment

I think every contractor wants that at the beginning but when you get a couple of gigs in you'll see how difficult it is. Get some contracting experience first and then have a think about your future model.

Comment

Get a website, with a domain but know your limits; don't start messing around with Drupal if you're not a web developer - install Wordpress, use a nice, clean theme and put a few basic pages up. You can then use your ltd co's domain name for your email address. Update it every three months or so, add a blog article, get some matching stationery. All of it is tax deductable and shows that you're in the frame of mind to be operating as a business rather than as a disguised employee.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Get a website, with a domain but know your limits; don't start messing around with Drupal if you're not a web developer - install Wordpress, use a nice, clean theme and put a few basic pages up. You can then use your ltd co's domain name for your email address. Update it every three months or so, add a blog article, get some matching stationery. All of it is tax deductable and shows that you're in the frame of mind to be operating as a business rather than as a disguised employee.
              I was a web developer and able to make great website. In 2018 I don't really think you need to be a web developer to build a cool website! As you said with Wordpress you get outstanding results.
              I am sure it's quite difficult to build a consulting company, but I also believe (as usual) the worst part is the beginning. That's part of every new game. I would like to put in the fields of expertise. In my case the industry is Financial Services and the field of expertise would be Data architecture, data migration, system integration, compliance and Digital.
              What do you think? Would you separate it in this way or differently?

Thanks for any help
              F

Comment

You need a business model first. Website comes last. Doesn't sound to me like you know what you are selling to then put it in a website. The fact you are thinking a website is the way to start a consultancy makes me think you need to do a bit more research. Classic thinking we see quite a bit on here.

I'm guessing you are just looking at shipping bodies in to a client so the other thing nearly every contractor tried to do at the beginning and that's take a piece of the agents action under the guise of a micro consultancy.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 30 May 2018, 21:47.

Comment

I use these guys : https://woocommerce.com

It's just wordpress themes but at least you don't look like you just installed wordpress. Easy.

Comment

I get about one inquiry a year through my website. Far more so through my LinkedIn profile.

I have a website / domain so that I have a nice professional email address and to accentuate the businesses of my business.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X