• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 month contract with BT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 month contract with BT

I've had an offer for a 2 month contract with BT through an agency called Experis. They have demanded an amazing amount of documentation. They claim BT requires it all but I am skeptical of that.

Now they tell me that I must provide 4 months of personal bank statements to cover a 4 month period I was out of work from December 2016 to March 2017. I have refused this.

My reasoning is that they are making a contract with a Ltd. company. The fees will be paid into the company accounts. Consequently they have no right to demand access to the personal finances of the company director.

Am I correct in this?

Originally posted by artdog View Post
    IConsequently they have no right to demand access to the personal finances of the company director.

Am I correct in this?
    Absolutely.

Not that it makes any difference.

If you don't do what they say and they take on someone else, don't go complaining to anyone
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

This ^

Swallow your pride and get yourself the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        Absolutely.

Not that it makes any difference.

If you don't do what they say and they take on someone else, don't go complaining to anyone
        Possibly they will but it is only a 2 month contract. I've had 3 interviews this week. By supplying my personal finances I expect it would be solid grounds for declaring the contract inside IR35. They have to make a choice. Either they are contracting a limited company or they are hiring a temporary employee.

My suspiscion is this is the recruiter not BT that are demanding this. My last contract I stood my ground on some things and the recruiter buckled. My boss at the job was surprised. He said they didn't require anything more than proof of my ltd company and VAT reg.

I hope this isn't a new trend in contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
          This ^

Swallow your pride and get yourself the gig.
          Thanks for that insiteful response. I have no pride to swallow. So you would send someone four months of your personal bank account statements? If so then you are not as smart as you think you are.

Comment

My last gig was through Experis. And although onboarding was a pain they didn’t ask for personal or ltd bank statements.

Based on that maybe it is a requirement from BT? Maybe they want to do checks to make sure you’re not dodgy. Like SC but lighter and more informal?

And yes I’d send mine. Nothing on there I’m bothered about others knowing. (Apart from account numbers etc)

Comment

Some clients like to make sure that if you have gaps in your CV that those gaps weren't time in prison, etc.

Seeing your bank statements with money going in and out is a simple way of proving that you were around and spending money.

If it's a big deal for you (which based on your posts it is), then best walk away from the gig.
              If a client (or agent) asked me for mine, I would politely ask them why they wanted the information, and depending on their answer, probably provide it. My first port of call would not be to rant on an internet forum about their request to ask "right to demand".
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Some clients like to make sure that if you have gaps in your CV that those gaps weren't time in prison, etc.

Seeing your bank statements with money going in and out is a simple way of proving that you were around and spending money.

If it's a big deal for you (which based on your posts it is), then best walk away from the gig.
                If a client (or agent) asked me for mine, I would politely ask them why they wanted the information, and depending on their answer, probably provide it. My first port of call would not be to rant on an internet forum about their request to ask "right to demand".
                Perhaps but since they have required 2 different criminal record checks, that doesn't seem to be the reason.

I don't consider my post a rant. It was a question on the legality of the request. Considering the number of sarcastic responses I have seen on other threads, this doesn't seem to be a good place to post questions. I will find another forum where the users are less interested in being trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by artdog View Post
                  I don't consider my post a rant. It was a question on the legality of the request..
                  Ok, to answer your question: it is perfectly legal to request non-prejudicial information. There is nothing illegal in requesting non-prejudicial information.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I had a contract with them couple years back, paid on time, no hassle that I remember.

Used to be Elan IT.

Comment

Working...
                    X