• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract extension

Hello All,
    I'm fairly new to IT contracting, been permanent for 20 years.
    I was hired through a recruitment agency.
    My 5 month contract is about to end and I'm being given an extension of 3 months. The contract is through an agency who take an unknown %. I've not given the agency any grief, worked every day and the company I'm working for are very happy with the work I'm doing.
    Should I ask for a bigger slice of the money the company pays the agency for the extension?

I should add that I'm a cyber security contractor with GDPR experience, which I know is much in demand at the moment

Thanks for any advice

Have a search of the forums using the Google method which is.. (keywords) site:forums.contractor.Com
    This has been asked 100s of times before so you'll find more answers there than you'll get with us going over it all over again.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not seeing too much interest in GDPR now it's past 25th May, a little bit like Y2K

Comment

Originally posted by GAML View Post
        Hello All,
        My 5 month contract is about to end and I'm being given an extension of 3 months. The contract is through an agency who take an unknown %. I've not given the agency any grief, worked every day and the company I'm working for are very happy with the work I'm doing.
        Should I ask for a bigger slice of the money the company pays the agency for the extension?

I should add that I'm a cyber security contractor with GDPR experience, which I know is much in demand at the moment

Thanks for any advice
        Tell them to double it and cut their percentage to 1% otherwise you'll walk. That should sort out the men from the boys.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by GAML View Post
          Hello All,

Thanks for any advice
          It all depends on whether the company forces you to work with naked fat lazy contractors. You are then fully entitled to ask for double the rate.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

If this is a genuine post, the answer is obviously no. Antagonizing people is not a good way to do business.

Comment

I've not given the agency any grief, worked every day and the company I'm working for are very happy with the work I'm doing.
              Well done, you've done the bare minimum that anyone would expect. Are you willing to walk away? (As in really willing). Are you being asked to do more than you originally quoted for? Have you demonstrated that you're a cut above what they expected? Is the renewal just continuing what you've been doing, or are you going to be taking on more?

Comment

Just invoke the clause you negotiated prior to the start of the contract, where upon renewal you will get a rate uplift for securing the additional income for the agency by simply doing what you were contracted to do in the first place.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Do you feel that you're not being paid enough?

If that's not the case, why rock the boat?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If you are happy with the day rate then not worth the negotiations for just 3 months.
                    It may leave a bitter taste with agent/company.
                    As you know the company and the work so no bench time.
                    And if you were happy with the day rate before you should be now.

If you think your skills are in demand you will know soon enough when you start looking for a new contract and you negotiate accordingly on a new gig.

Agents will be taking a slice and sometimes a big slice if they can get away with it. That is how it works so pretty irrelevant to your thinking and your worth IMO.

But I know some people will take any opportunity to negotiate and hey sometimes it may work out for the better.

Comment

Working...
                    X