• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule - specific question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month rule - specific question

I have just received confirmation of contract renewal which will take me over 24 months at one site. I will not be claiming any expenses for anything going forward.

Can I still put in an expense for mileage from the beginning of the month until yesterday?

Probably. It's dated back from the anticipated or known end date. Presumably up to yesterday you anticipated the gig not continuing over 24 months but now you know it will.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

So you stop when you got confirmation. You can claim anything before. Not that complicated really.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm sure HMRC could claim there's a difference between knowing and confirming:

1 May - manager emails to say you're getting an extension - you *know*
        31 May - agency issues the paperwork - your're *confirmed*

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

And that's covered by anticipated. If you don't actually blow the 24 month barrIer you can always back claim.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

HMRC's guidance is littered with the word 'expectation'. The manager emails he's getting an extention is clearly expectation so 1 May will be the date they use.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

There is considerable debate in epistemology as to whether 'justified true belief' is a sufficient condition for knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettier_problem

Imagine this scenario:

31 May - agency emails to say you're getting binned

In this case, you didn't 'know' on 1 May that you would get an extension because you can't know something that is untrue.

In a more 'reasonable' interpretation, you have a good business opportunity on 1 May but you don't 'know' with a reasonable level of certainty until 31 May.

Comment

That is why the guides use the term expectation. There are examples of when the reality doesn't meet expectation. Weirdly if the expectation is 25 months and you get binned at 23 the expectation still stands and you can't claim.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. That was my understanding as well (claim up to confirmation date even if claim gets recorded after confirmation), but wanted to hear the voice of the people in the matter.

I'll confirm with the accountant as well.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    That is why the guides use the term expectation. There are examples of when the reality doesn't meet expectation. Weirdly if the expectation is 25 months and you get binned at 23 the expectation still stands and you can't claim.
                    The trick is not to expect to accept the extension until the last possible minute.

Comment

Working...
                    X