• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taper relief vs Dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taper relief vs Dividends

Usual route when making use of taper relief is to pay a minimum salary and the rest in dividends upto the 38.3k threshold, then take the rest as taper relief.

Just wondered whether it would be more tax efficient to take a lower amount in dividends and leave a greater amount in the company, which could be taken as taper relief.

An extreme example: take a min salary of 5k, no dividends. Build up the rest and take it all as taper relief after a couple of years. - Assuming you could live on that wage for the time being.

turbo
    Last edited by turbo; 12 December 2006, 16:50.

Originally posted by turbo
    Usual route when making use of taper relief is to pay a minimum salary and the rest in dividends upto the 38.3k threshold, then take the rest as taper relief.

Just wondered whether it would be more tax efficient to take a lower amount in dividends and leave a greater amount in the company, which could be taken as taper relief.

An extreme example: take a min salary of 5k, no dividends. Build up the rest and take it all as taper relief after a couple of years. - Assuming you could live on that wage for the time being.

turbo

Whats taper relief? I've never heard of it.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

I'm also somewhat intruiged by that - I've got enough savings to leave the money in my business account alone for a fair while if the returns are worth it...

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
        Whats taper relief? I've never heard of it.
        Seriously?

Seems to have been mentioned on these boards a fair bit...

Check out the 83% tax planning method outlined on the SJD site, that makes use of taper relief.

turbo

Comment

Originally posted by turbo
          As I understand it you would be no better off and probably marginally worse off if you were to take a lower amount in dividends.

You pay 19% corporation tax on company profits regardless of whether you go the dividends route or the capital distribution/taper relief route.

Providing you keep below the Higher Rate Threshold you'll have no further tax liability (beyond the 19% CT) on any dividends you receive. However, if you go the capital distribution/taper relief route you will have additional tax liability on the capital gain.

For example, lets assume you have profits of £100k each year for 3 years and HRT is £38k. We'll ignore min salary because it will have a similar effect in each scenario.

Dividend Route:

Total profit (TP) = 3 x £100k = £300k
          Corporation tax (CT) = £300k @ 19% = £57k
          Dividends (D) = 3 x (£38k x 0.9) = £102.6k

Funds available for capital distribution (CD) = TP - CT - D = £140.4k

75% Taper Relief means tax is due on (£140.4k @ 25%) - £8.5k (CGT Exemption) = £26.6k

Capital Gains Tax due (CGT) = £26.6k @ 40% = £10.64k

In your back pocket using the dividend route over 3 years is roughly D + CD - CGT = £102.6k + £140.4k - £10.64k = £232k

100% Capital Distribution Route:

Total profit (TP) = 3 x £100k = £300k
          Corporation tax (CT) = £300k @ 19% = £57k
          Dividends (D) = 0

Funds available for capital distribution (CD) = TP - CT - D = £243k

75% Taper Relief means tax is due on (£243k x 25%) - £8.5k (CGT Exemption) = £52.25k

Capital Gains Tax due (CGT) = £38k @ 22% + £14.25k @ 40% = £8.36k + £5.7k = £14.06k

In your back pocket using the 100% Capital Distribution Route over 3 years is roughly D + CD - CGT = £0k + £243k - £14.06k = £229k

It's only £3k difference so no big deal, but I definitely can't see any merit in not taking full dividends up to the 40% threshold each year.

Comment

I was going to say the same as minstrel. But no point now is there.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think you'd be no better off and probably marginally worse off.... doh!

Is there any reason why you can't keep pay the dividends over a number of years staying under the 40% bracket? So based on 300K profit (-19% corporation tax), you'd pay your dividends over 7 years.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                I was going to say the same as minstrel. But no point now is there.
                Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                  Is there any reason why you can't keep pay the dividends over a number of years staying under the 40% bracket? So based on 300K profit (-19% corporation tax), you'd pay your dividends over 7 years.
                  No reason why you can't pay the dividends over 7 years, but what are you going to do with the additional £400k profit you make in years 4 to 7?

Something you could do though if you want to take 4 years off or can afford to retire.

Comment

Thanks for the example minstrel!

Just wonder if this has any other indirect advantages, e.g. the low salary, high dividend route is sometimes frowned upon - perhaps this could be a way to avoid that? But I guess as long as you can show you're outside of IR35, there's no reason to do that.

turbo
                    Last edited by turbo; 13 December 2006, 09:06.

Comment

Working...
                    X