• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employer pension contribution after company year end

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employer pension contribution after company year end

Hi all,

It's the first time I post here and I hope I that my question will be answered.

I've been working as a contractor since March 2017, which means that the company year end was on 31st March 2018. I've only recently discovered that I can contribute to my pension via my Ltd and deduct 40k from company's net income, which will allow me to pay less corporation tax.

The corporation tax, for the first company year, is due on 1st December 2018.

Can I contribute today, after the company year end, to my pension via my Ltd and have that amount deducted from the net income, hence pay less corporation tax?

Thank you in advance,

Neo

Why did your accountant not advise you of this initially and why isn't he the one you've gone to for an answer?

Make sure it isnt your warchest you are thinking of putting in to the pension and leaving nothing to cover 6 months out of work.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 June 2018, 23:12.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you already have a pension, you can can carry forward unused allowance (for 3 years IIRC) , so contribute more this year to get the Corp tax saving next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo75 View Post
        Hi all,

It's the first time I post here and I hope I that my question will be answered.

I've been working as a contractor since March 2017, which means that the company year end was on 31st March 2018. I've only recently discovered that I can contribute to my pension via my Ltd and deduct 40k from company's net income, which will allow me to pay less corporation tax.

The corporation tax, for the first company year, is due on 1st December 2018.

Can I contribute today, after the company year end, to my pension via my Ltd and have that amount deducted from the net income, hence pay less corporation tax?

Thank you in advance,

Neo
        I’m afraid not. The tax relief is given on contributions registered by the pension scheme as actually paid in the company tax year.

You can carry the unused £40k forward as has already been pointed out and get relief in the new tax year but before you do make a large payment be sure you’re not leaving yourself short of funds to cover a contract gap!

Typically I have this chat with my clients no later than 2 months before their year end so maybe speak to your accountant about the available surpluses you have in December / January this year to help plan.
        #notallaccountantsarethesame

Email Me
        Me on LinkedIn 15% off IPSE right here!

Comment

There's no scope to accrue pension contributions I'm afraid, strictly needs to be on a paid basis. So no, you can't get corporation tax relief last year for funds you put in this year. You can of course get tax relief this year for funds you put in this year.

If you put in a significantly large amount (subject to annual cap for individuals and possibly carry forward) that you make a loss in the current year, you likely could carry back that loss to the year before.

Comment

Working...
          X