• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AIBU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AIBU

To feel uncomfortable when people call each other 'cretin'?

Cretinism is a condition caused by untreated congenital hypothyroidism, and results in stunted physical and mental development.

We no longer call people by other disabled insults, so why is this one OK?

From the wikipedia article "The term cretin was once used to describe a person affected by cretinism, but, as with words such as spastic, and lunatic, it is now considered derogatory and inappropriate."

I hate it. Please stop.

I don't believe I've ever called someone a cretin.

Retard, usually.

Comment

Sas would have to learn some new words. His definition of 'cretin' is 'everyone else'.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Don't think I've ever heard that word as an insult before - tool seems to be a favourite around here

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I don't believe I've ever called someone a cretin.

Retard, usually.
          Well we've ruled you out as sas's sockie master.

Nope, don't like that one either.

I'll stick with things like feckwit.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Well we've ruled you out as sas's sockie master.

Nope, don't like that one either.

I'll stick with things like feckwit.
            Bampot's good, too

Comment

Make up your own words. Then you can insult people without them knowing. You're all a bunch of Ritseiking Flubids!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Make up your own words. Then you can insult people without them knowing. You're all a bunch of Ritseiking Flubids!
                I reckon we'll probably get over it though...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  To feel uncomfortable when people call each other 'cretin'?

Cretinism is a condition caused by untreated congenital hypothyroidism, and results in stunted physical and mental development.

We no longer call people by other disabled insults, so why is this one OK?

From the wikipedia article "The term cretin was once used to describe a person affected by cretinism, but, as with words such as spastic, and lunatic, it is now considered derogatory and inappropriate."

I hate it. Please stop.
                  It is such an archaic clinical term, like idiot and moron that these connotations are lost, regardless of etymology.

Comment

Silflay hraka, you embleer hrair...(clue "Watership Down").
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X