• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Submitting amended accounts to HMRC myself rather than Accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Submitting amended accounts to HMRC myself rather than Accountant

I changed accountants and new one they noted that my 16/17 Accounts submission had obvious errors - mix up between VAT and PAYE payments.
    Need to send in amended accounts.
    Previous accountants I now suspect did not even check/review them and they were posted as is.
    Previous accountants want to charge me for submitting amended accounts - when they made the original mistake(s).
    TBH I am getting tired of it all - so what stops me submitting amended accounts myself for myco.
    I have all the original detail/docs that were submitted and know exactly what the error in the data was?
    Thanks

Aside from you should check the accounts before they are submitted (lesson learned - you sign them to say they are accurate)? Nothing. Just make sure you do it correctly...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Aside from you should check the accounts before they are submitted (lesson learned - you sign them to say they are accurate)? Nothing. Just make sure you do it correctly...
      Thanks very helpful - but we use Accountants to create 'audited' accounts as I am not an expert but now I have seen it it's clearly wrong and should have been spotted. I suspect that they didn't even look at any detail (they didn't ask me any questions I remember about my accounts for the 1st time in 10 years).
      Has anyone submitted their own amended accounts? Fed up with accountants at the moment.

Comment

There's one or two here that do the full DIY. I'm sure they'll mosey on by at some point.

You may pay an accountant to produce the accounts but it's your responsibility as the director to check them. If you don't understand accounts then you really ought to do a short course or at the very least read a book on it (accounting, not just book-keeping). Frank Woods Business Accounting 1 and 2 were the go-to a while ago, they may be out of date now but I expect most of the principles still stand.

I wouldn't recommend doing your own end to end accounts if you're not fully comfortable with all the aspects of it. I spent 9 years in an accounts department so am very comfortable with it and do 90% myself but I still hand over to my accountant for them to produce the submissions to CoHo and HMRC, and to calculate CT for me. I like having an independent look over and then I check that the submissions are right before i sign anything.

BTW - your accounts are very unlikely to be audited. Your company is unlikey to be of a size where auditing is a requirement.

Comment

I'm probably not the 1st person who has had accounts submitted and then a mistake found - don't care who's fault it was, trying to understand how it was remedied.
          Yes these are unaudited.
          Don't have an issue as it will get solved (the whole issue is just wasting my time) - but my old accountants want to charge me to fix it etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenscroft View Post
            so what stops me submitting amended accounts myself for myco
            Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Nothing.
            There you go.

Comment

Why not just get your new accountant to do it?

Comment

I'm probably not the 1st person who has had accounts submitted and then a mistake found - don't care who's fault it was, trying to understand how it was remedied.
                Yes these are unaudited.
                Don't have an issue as it will get solved (the whole issue is just wasting my time) - but my old accountants want to charge me to fix it etc.
                You sacked them. Now you want them to do some work for free?
                It ain't gonna happen.

It doesn't matter if they made a mistake as you signed it off. If they were still your accountant then they'd probably rectify for free, but they're not.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I changed accountants and new one they noted that my 16/17 Accounts submission had obvious errors - mix up between VAT and PAYE payments.
                  Previous accountants I now suspect did not even check/review them and they were posted as is.
                  Previous accountants want to charge me for submitting amended accounts - when they made the original mistake(s).
                  TBH I am getting tired of it all - so what stops me submitting amended accounts myself for myco.
                  I have all the original detail/docs that were submitted and know exactly what the error in the data was?
                  Thanks
                  Is there a tax impact? ie will the amendments result in you paying more CT or receiving a refund? If the answer is no and the error is not material (huge) why bother - have the current accountant restate the last years figures when they submit your current years info.

Comment

Thanks
                    A mix up between VAT and PAYE payments doesn't sound that bad. It is only going to affect the debtors/creditors on the balance sheet which is not that bad. It is not going to affect corporation tax which is the main thing. HMRC are give you a for calculating your corporation tax incorrectly.

To be honest, both your accountants come across terribly in this situation. What a palarva.

Your old accountants should fix this mistake for free as a very minimum and if they do not they should be reported to ACCA. After they have fixed the mistake you will then need to talk about some sort of refund/compensation for the time you have lost- they are unlikely to pay this mind you because you have already left and are no longer their customer/their problem.

Or your new accountants should make the correction in this year's accounts. It's just numbers, I' sure they can just delete or 'undo' the offending transaction and just enter it correctly in this year's accounts (rather than going back and messing around with last year). Simples.

I don't get why this is so complicated. Your new accountants have identified the error, just get them to fix it or leave them. Clearly they don't give a crap about you which is not the type of attitude you want in an accountant.

Comment

Working...
                    X