• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage claim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage claim

Afternoon.

Quick one. I'm currently driving around 120miles a day to and from clientco at this rate by september/October I'll be approaching 10k miles at which point the rate I can claim back drops to 25p

Now we have two cars and I'll just generally takes whichever one is last on the drive so sometimes I come in my car and sometimes I'm in my wifes... Is the 10k miles @ 45p per car (it makes sense that it would be as it's for fuel and wear and tear, the reason it drops is that it's assumed that after 10k miles that the wear and tear element is considered paid... But that doesn't hold true if its a different car)

Just wondering as I'm two months in and have probably used my wife's car for 1/4 of the journeys.

No. It’s not per car.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
      No. It’s not per car.
      Thanks.

Is that documented anywhere that you know of? I had a look and couldn't see it in the guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
        Thanks.

Is that documented anywhere that you know of? I had a look and couldn't see it in the guidelines.
        https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene.../rules-for-tax

It doesn’t matter if your employee uses more than one vehicle in a year - it’s all calculated together.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Thanks.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-an...-payments-maps - "For tax purposes: 45 pence for the first 10,000 business miles in a tax year, then 25 pence for each subsequent mile"
          I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            It's not documented. What is documented is the distance. It doesn't specify the number of vehicles involved, therefore it does not get rest per vehicle.
            Makes sense.

Thanks

Comment

Makes sense.

Thanks
              Edited my post when I found it was documented!

It doesn’t matter if your employee uses more than one vehicle in a year - it’s all calculated together.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Edited my post when I found it was documented!
                Exactly what I was looking for!
                Must be going blind... Must be the age.

Comment

Working...
                X