• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 weeks notice contract - Been given 1.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 weeks notice contract - Been given 1.

Hello,

I am currently contracting and have just been verbally given 1 weeks notice by my Manager. I checked my contract which is between my limited company and the recruitment company and it states a 4 week notice period.

I questioned the recruiter and they have stated "Because *Client Name* are serving you notice, they are contractually obliged to give you 1 week notice.

If it was Myself/*recruitment company name* giving you notice, then it would be 4 weeks, as per your Contract.

My contract actually ends on the 27th of July anyway but I was never aware of the company I was actually working for could give me 1 weeks notice.

Does this seem legit please?

Thanks

The company could have you out immediately on whatever technicality they want, so you're lucky you've got the week if that's how they're feeling.

It's part of the risk of contracting, unfortunately.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Given that your contract was due to end in less than 3 weeks, I'd not bother kicking up about it.

Did you have your contract reviewed before signing?
      Check the termination section to see if there is anything that states something along the lines of "the client can terminate at any time without reason".
      What the agent is saying is that you might have had 4 weeks notice with them, but if they have a clause in about the client terminating, then that overrides the 4 week clause.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

But if you wanted to leave with 1 weeks notice and your contract states 4, guess what is likely to happen...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Given that your contract was due to end in less than 3 weeks, I'd not bother kicking up about it.

Did you have your contract reviewed before signing?
          Check the termination section to see if there is anything that states something along the lines of "the client can terminate at any time without reason".
          What the agent is saying is that you might have had 4 weeks notice with them, but if they have a clause in about the client terminating, then that overrides the 4 week clause.
          Wouldn't make any difference. Clients will always have a no notice get out. They hold the money and agents and contractors dance to their tune to get as much of it as they can. Sometimes you get to work the full four weeks, other times you get that day signed off, pack your bag and hand your pass in.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
            Hello,

I am currently contracting and have just been verbally given 1 weeks notice by my Manager. I checked my contract which is between my limited company and the recruitment company and it states a 4 week notice period.

I questioned the recruiter and they have stated "Because *Client Name* are serving you notice, they are contractually obliged to give you 1 week notice.

If it was Myself/*recruitment company name* giving you notice, then it would be 4 weeks, as per your Contract.

My contract actually ends on the 27th of July anyway but I was never aware of the company I was actually working for could give me 1 weeks notice.

Does this seem legit please?

Thanks
            Imagine that your company were given four weeks' notice to terminate the contract, and advised that there is only one week's work required.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              But if you wanted to leave with 1 weeks notice and your contract states 4, guess what is likely to happen...
              Your company gives them four weeks' notice to terminate the contract, and advises that it is only available to deliver services for the next week. If feeling charitable, your company could offer to send a sub.

Comment

Notice period from client/agent is mostly irrelevant (they could still tie you up so unable to move on during that period) if they are not obliged to offer any work and therefore pay you during that period, so personally I prefer zero notice or a short one anyway as it also helps prove you're not a permie.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Your company gives them four weeks' notice to terminate the contract, and advises that it is only available to deliver services for the next week. If feeling charitable, your company could offer to send a sub.
                  Careful now. That's getting dangerously close to jumping ship for a bit more money and you'll incur the wrath of NLUK for such unprofessional misconduct.

You're there for as long as the client tells you so. Client says jump, you say how high. Always remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    Careful now. That's getting dangerously close to jumping ship for a bit more money and you'll incur the wrath of NLUK for such unprofessional misconduct.

You're there for as long as the client tells you so. Client says jump, you say how high. Always remember that.
                    Billy, I know you like dispensing bad advice, but this is in the professional forums. Please desist.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X