• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payroll for single director (contractor)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll for single director (contractor)

I've set up a limited company to contract through and expect to work no more than a single contract for the entire tax year, paying myself up to my tax free limit then dividends thereafter. I have a few questions:

1. Does it matter when i actually pay myself a salary and dividends? I'm thinking of paying myself a salary lump sum every quarter, and dividends perhaps every 6 months so that i'm not constantly generating payslips.

2. Is the accounting for this fairly simple arrangement straight forward enough to do myself, without having to hire an accountant or use software?

I started using wave, however it doesnt actually have payroll for UK customers and it's not actually that good, so just started recording income and expenses on an excel sheet - rudimentary, but at least i know that it will work!

https://www.freeagent.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chomps View Post
      2. Is the accounting for this fairly simple arrangement straight forward enough to do myself, without having to hire an accountant or use software?
      No it's not. It might look like it when you get a couple of straightforward question answered and you think you are good to go but what about the raft of other stuff you don't know to ask about? Running your accounts by asking questions on a free forums is bound to end in tears.

You need to get yourself an accountant. They arent a lot and there is a recommendation thread to help you find one.

Comment

Depends, how good are you at reading guides, grasping it, and generally spending time to get all this sorted ? There are few on this forum who do it themselves and would say once you get grips of it, it is fairly straightforward.

Though majority over here will recommend getting an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by NCOTBAC View Post
          No it's not. It might look like it when you get a couple of straightforward question answered and you think you are good to go but what about the raft of other stuff you don't know to ask about? Running your accounts by asking questions on a free forums is bound to end in tears.

You need to get yourself an accountant. They arent a lot and there is a recommendation thread to help you find one.
          Roughly how much would you expect to pay for an accountant?

Comment

Roughly how much would you expect to pay for an accountant?
            Around 85+vat or there abouts which will include a Freeagent subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by NCOTBAC View Post

You should get an accountant, but you don't need one. I have been doing it myself for 8 years now
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
                Depends, how good are you at reading guides, grasping it, and generally spending time to get all this sorted ? There are few on this forum who do it themselves and would say once you get grips of it, it is fairly straightforward.

Though majority over here will recommend getting an accountant.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  You should get an accountant, but you don't need one. I have been doing it myself for 8 years now
                  He says posting from behind bars !

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Well that suggests that it's not a massive undertaking, unless you're caught in a trap of inefficiency and headaches you cant escape from

Comment

Working...
                    X