• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to do phone contracts when abroad in various countries for extended periods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to do phone contracts when abroad in various countries for extended periods

Hi everyone!

Did a bit of a search but couldn't quite find the right subject.

I've been moving around a lot in my life, so I find myself in a bit of an odd situation, where company is in UK (from back when I lived here), base is in Portugal (because cheap), girlfriend is in Australia, and my work requires me to often be on site for more than a month.

Ideally I just want one portable data plan, but they all seem to restrict you to 2 months of being abroad. Is there any way I can keep the same contract across wherever I am?

Or would it be better to get some sort of permanent digital number and reroute calls onto data and only live of local SIMs, changing every time I go elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice,

F

Skype number call forwarding perhaps?

https://www.skype.com/en/features/call-forwarding/

https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

Comment

Three T&C state that they reserve the right to terminate service if there is excessive overseas use. If you are not overusing it, they might let you be? Have you asked them?

Comment

UK/Portugal shouldn't be an issue as there are no roaming charges within EU countries, therefore your contract allowance can be used in either. If you're going to be in Oz a lot then buy a local PAYG and use Skype.

Comment

are you mostly using phone data while abroad?

If you get a dual sim card phone, you can insert a local one when you are abroad and use that for data and outgoing calls. You'll still get calls for you home phone number. You might be under the radar enough if it's just the odd incoming call to your home sim while abroad.

Comment

Hi guys,

sorry for the late reply, somehow I don't seem to get notifications about anyone replying at all, so I simply thought no one did.

I've gone with three and a local for the faraway trips, and swap them when I need the actual number.

Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Working...
            X