• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SDC status on contract outside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDC status on contract outside IR35

Hello

New PS contract outside of IR35

Umbrella wishes to determine SDC status via questionnaire

If it's outside IR35 then it's unlikely to be subject to SDC so what is the deal here?

Any thoughts on this please.

(Will operate through Ltd Co upon renewal but for now it has to be via Umbrella).

Thanks

The very fact that you are using an umbrella makes IR35 irrelevant, I would have thought? You’re paying the tax (with no expenses) no matter what.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yes, I don't see why SDC is even relevant, especially to the umbrella, and especially if you're already established in the role. Perhaps you should be asking them: after all, you pay them, not the other way round, so it's up to them to justify stuff.

There's probably some fears about the new PS off-payroll (not IR35...) rules and they're worried they may catch a tax bill at some point. I can't see how that would happen, but a lot of people in the recruitment and related markets have no actual idea what they are doing.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Yes, I don't see why SDC is even relevant, especially to the umbrella, and especially if you're already established in the role. Perhaps you should be asking them: after all, you pay them, not the other way round, so it's up to them to justify stuff.

There's probably some fears about the new PS off-payroll (not IR35...) rules and they're worried they may catch a tax bill at some point. I can't see how that would happen, but a lot of people in the recruitment and related markets have no actual idea what they are doing.

SDC is relevant, as that is the test for T&S if you're operating through an umbrella.

If the role is advertised as outside IR35, then you are unlikely to be subject to SDC, but they could have made that determination based on right of substitution, so it's not necessarily a given.

Comment

Working...
        X