• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you write your salary/rate on your CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you write your salary/rate on your CV?

From a phone call of an agency with indeed a good reputation:

agent - "Hi...we have this fantastic job... would be very interested in you.... what's your salary?" *Note that it was on the cv

me - as on the cv - X

agent - "well the client might be able to pay X - 15%"

me - "Well, I am not exactly a charity"

agent - "ok, will keep looking for other opportunities"

Do you reckon it is a good idea to write your current salary/rate on your CV or it's just useless/negative?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

For contracts, ask them to quantify the role, responsibilities, etc before you quote a rate. Every contract is different, so ask the agent to give you the information you need to decide what the market value of the role is likely to be.

If you go round advertising 'I will work for x', you will always be offered 'x -15%', which would probably mean the agent pockets any extra cash you could have made if youd played the game...

For perm, it's different... once you are in the running, quote your salary + a few grand, mention bonus schems, generous pension. Nobody ever checks. If they try, just say you dont have a P45 and fill in a P60.
    Last edited by mcquiggd; 14 December 2006, 02:09.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
      If you go round advertising 'I will work for x', you will always be offered 'x -15%', which would probably mean the agent pockets any extra cash you could have made if youd played the game...
      I have wondered about that. Am I being churlish by quoting 'x' and then saying that I won't readily accept less than that? Am I being stupid too?

Should I just go ahead and quote 'x + 20%' and then accept 'x'? Then everybody's happy, and one of these times I might get what I ask for, whereas if I never ask then I won't.

Comment

feck me Franko you ask some daft questions

and the rest of you are as daft for answering that you do the same

feck's sake lads this is elementary, get the Rec Con interested, get the client
        interested, get the telephone interview sorteeeed and the client begging for you AND THEN do the rate negotiation

if at any stage before the telephone interview the agent tries to discuss/negotiate rates, tell him what you want and tell him you can both
        discuss it after the telephone interview if the client is interested to proceed further

feck's sake you lot

Expat what are you up to in FaM ?

Milan.

Comment

I've taken to just quoting margins, e.g the pimp can take 10% of the gross rate to the client

Comment

No.

Next...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I never discuss a rate until an offer is on the table. When asked about my previous / current rate well, none of their business.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

This has already been discussed.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/threa...1-10-drop.html

Remember newbies, the Search button is your friend....
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I would suggest that you send a covering page which shows your rate and expectations probably something like

Name : FRANCKO

Expectations : SHOW ME THE MONEY, SHOWWWWWW MEEEEEEE THE MONEYYYYYY. I LOVVVVVVEEEEEE BLAAAAAACKKKKKKK PEOOOOPPPPLLEEE

Present Salary : £600 p/d
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                    For perm, it's different... once you are in the running, quote your salary + a few grand, mention bonus schems, generous pension. Nobody ever checks. If they try, just say you dont have a P45 and fill in a P60.
                    Have heard of someone who stated an inflated salary for a bank while going for a job, got the job, then HR asked for proof of existing salary and were not impressed, so much so, they dropped the salary to a much lower amount. He didn't take the job.

So the real question is: if they were prepared to employe him for the higher price, why do they feel the need to drop it again if he was on a lower salary? HR getting confused between market rate and value to the business.

It's a strange world the permie one...
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X