• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting with no home address in the UK feasible ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting with no home address in the UK feasible ?

After working in the UK for nearly 10 years I am moving out of country for personal reasons. But I would like to come and contract here from time to time for 3-6 months periods. I do not own a UK home, so I am trying to assess how much of a problem the lack of a "permanent" UK home address would be, and whether it is worthwhile to rent a house share for this purpose or use a UK mail forwarding service.

I do have a perm address in another country, but it is not a country I want to mention, and I will be mostly travelling internationally in my caravan anyway. My UK company's registered address service includes electronic mail forwarding so on that front I am covered.

I had maybe 5 contracts and I can remember only one (investment bank) needing an address history (for screening purposes.) I am happy to forget about banks and work for smaller businesses. In your experience, did you often need to provide a home address and/or address history to get a contract? Would there be an issue if you used a known mail forwarding address service?

Why not just go brolly?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gasca View Post
      I do have a perm address in another country, but it is not a country I want to mention
      Odd.

Comment

legally there's no problem at all which some pretty basic research would have told you........

https://www.gov.uk/limited-company-f...ny-secretaries

Whether you'd pass screening for most UK clients is likely the issue. You'll never get SC clearance for a start (requirement to be living in the UK). Most financial organisations won't touch you either.

And if you tell any organisation you won't disclose the country you do live then they also won;t touch you.
        And living in a caravan will also fail most screening checks.

Other than that you're fine. Skint, and not-working, but fine.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I think Lance nails it.

The world isn't really properly ready for digital nomads yet. So many checks on people revolve around their home address. Eg even you getting an accountant will be tricky without a home address they can verify.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. OK, no address is a not a viable opiton. Suppose I do get a proper UK address at the time of getting a new contract. Would a long gap in address history likely be an issue? When I was screened for a bank they asked for "passport with stamps" to cover such gaps should I have them. But I have had a perm address all the time so never I found out more.

BTW, the country in which I have an address I could use is Russia. If I go back and forth especially after living in the UK for so log it may sound some people's alarm bells, I suspect. Or am I worrying too much?

Comment

It's going to be a big problem for anything that requires background checks. It's onurus enough just proving what you were doing between contracts let alone not even residing in the country. They may not be able to complete their reference and credit checks. How much effort will they go to before they say no thanks? Who knows.

Comment

How feasible is it just pop up and do 3 to 6 months and then disappear? It's going to be hard enough getting that past an agents first scan let alone all the extra stuff. Do you do something niche or is it a fairly run of the mill skill. Why would an agent pick you with a very chequered history compared to an onshore resource that has end to end gigs (and is possibly local)?

Comment

I've a rare key skill, but the demand for it is falling and I would rather do something more "run of the mill". I keep hearing of people doing the "3-6 months pop up" thing on regular basis. If it means spending a lot of time looking, lower rates, odd locations - I am happy with all that.

The main reason I want it in this way is that I have a research and start-up project in my line of work that I'm concentrating on. It will be a few years before it starts pulling in a steady income and even then it may not be a lot, so I want to keep the contracting option open. Proving what I've been doing between contracts shouldn't be a big issue because my project is software, mostly open and web-based.

Still too much to hope for?

Comment

Originally posted by gasca View Post

Still too much to hope for?
                    who knows?
                    Your situation is unique. You've had some good suggestions. Only way to find out is to try it.

What more do you want?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X