• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now then

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now then

What does the panel think about the idea of giving prisoners the vote?

(Hopefully there are no prisoners viewing this or SP will pull it (not helpfully move it to LR like other contentious postings not made by DG))
    Why not?

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    What does the panel think about the idea of giving prisoners the vote?

(Hopefully there are no prisoners viewing this or SP will pull it (not helpfully move it to LR like other contentious postings not made by DG))
    I see no reason why they should not vote, apart from spite. They may be criminals and prisoners, but they are still citizens, not outlaws.

Otherwise why restrict it to those serving a prison sentence? Take the vote from people who get fines. One speeding ticket and you're off the roll.

Comment

IMHO, giving prisoners the right to vote is not consistent with the principle of being a prisoner. When one decides to be on the wrong side of the law one should be prepared to forfeit certain rights. After all, if you decide that you don't want to respect the principles of laws and civilisation, why shold you expect them to be granted to you? Get out of prison and then your right to vote will be reinstated, me thinks!
      Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Originally posted by expat
        I see no reason why they should not vote, apart from spite. They may be criminals and prisoners, but they are still citizens, not outlaws.

Otherwise why restrict it to those serving a prison sentence? Take the vote from people who get fines. One speeding ticket and you're off the roll.
        But you just said they are outlaws. This means outside the law!!
        Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Easy answer. If you do not abide by the rules of society, you forfeit some of the rights of said society. So whilst you are banged up at Her Majesty's Pleasure, bang goes your voting rights. Apply this to Custodial sentences only and it all becomes easy to police. Don't let the namby-pamby lefty lentil-munchers try and fudge the issue by carping on about speeding fines etc. Not the same thing at all.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
            Easy answer. If you do not abide by the rules of society, you forfeit some of the rights of said society. So whilst you are banged up at Her Majesty's Pleasure, bang goes your voting rights. Apply this to Custodial sentences only and it all becomes easy to police. Don't let the namby-pamby lefty lentil-munchers try and fudge the issue by carping on about speeding fines etc. Not the same thing at all.
            Hear Hear - add may I add to the list of exclusions those entreprensing types who aid our economy by granting cash for peerages.

Comment

They decided to operate outside of the laws society have laid down thus they lose all rights to be part of said society.

Kill em, cheaper than keeping em banged up for years.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
                Yes but there is an increasing trend towards keeping crims in the community by tagging etc. It is dependant on local magistrates as to who goes to the clink.
                I do agree with you (OMG) but I do not see it as cut and dried.
                I also have issues with prisoners using civil and human rights laws when they have patently ignored those rights of their victims.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Lets face it, if about hardly anyone law abiding votes, how many of the feckers in clink are going to bother?

New Labour will get in anyway, so lets just do away with voting altogether and just have a happy New Labour Kleptocracy.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by To BI or not to BI?
                    But you just said they are outlaws. This means outside the law!!
                    Wrong: I did not say that they were outlaws. In fact that is exactly the distinction I wanted to make. An outlaw is something quite differen from a lawbreaker.

Prisoners are not outlaws. They are not outside the law, within the law (that is why they are being punished by it).

Someone who is subject to the law, and breaks it, is not an outlaw: he is subject to its punishment, and he is still subject to its protection. An outlaw is someone who has not merely broken the law, but has stepped right outside it. It is not murder to kill an outlaw, because he is outside the law: the law protecting people from murder does not apply to him.

Someone who is being punished within the law is still protected by the law from being murdered. In the same way, he should still have the vote.

Otherwise, if you think that breaking the law removes that right, why not apply it to all lawbreakers? You with the speeding tickets too.

Comment

Working...
                    X