• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment Statement - pretty big backdated liability - seeking advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment Statement - pretty big backdated liability - seeking advice

Hi Guys - I just received the attached document and accountants are closed, so looking for your input.

This is all related to a ltd co. that was struck off due to incompetent accountant; ultimately governance lies with me - even though I've got emails and calls instructing them to wind-down the business and settle any payments. Anyways we're here now.

Summary of prior ltd co.
    7JUL15 company incorporated & 13DEC16 company dissolved. Corp. Tax, VAT, & Self-Assessments were never filed.

1. What does this exactly mean? Is there a way to reduce these costs or negotiate payment plan with HMRC?
    2. I'll be getting in touch with previous accountants as they should have filed for this with the old company before it was dissolved - I've got emails instructing them to do all the necessary and wind-down the business - they never did. Any questions I need or should be asking them?
    3. Would there be any liabilities in addition to this (they did not file corp. tax or VAT - I'm assuming these liabilities would have been related to the ltd co and no me personally.)?
    4. Anything else you can think of?

Kind Regards,
    HPSauce

PS - Please don't bash me, just looking for objective input on this scenario and a way forward to clear everything up.

Mod edit: the reference attachment was a statement of self-assessment arrears and penalties.
    Last edited by HPsauce; 25 July 2018, 02:08.

What does this have to do with your company? This is self assessment isn't it? Your personal affairs, not your companies surely.

That aside how does your accountant settle any liabilities?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

send them the money

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What does this have to do with your company? This is self assessment isn't it? Your personal affairs, not your companies surely.

That aside how does your accountant settle any liabilities?
        Your correct ... this is for self assessment. I'm just trying to cover all bases and think of any risks.

RE: CT and VAT not being paid and company dissolved all those liabilities are now gone with previous ltd co. This is correct, right?

Secondly, is there a way to negotiate any of these with HMRC or go on a payment plan with them? (Obviously I will be trying to get previous accountancy to commit funds, but again this is not their problem, regardless of what they should have carried out under instruction, ultimately the buck stops with me.)

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Originally posted by HPsauce View Post
          ...This is all related to a ltd co.
          Your correct ... this is for self assessment.
          If it's self-assessment, it's not related to a ltd co.
          If it's related to a ltd. co., it's not self-assessment.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You will need to settle it if this is you own personal self assessment - They will not reduce the amount as I'm sure they will have written to you / emailed you on numerous occasions

They will create a payment plan but you will continue to pay interest on any amount that is outstanding until it is settled. You need to structure the plan so you don't pay any more late fees

Comment

All - Thanks for confirming my assumptions.

Mod - Feel free to close this thread.

Comment

All - Thanks for confirming my assumptions.
                You assumed it was to do with your ltd. co. which it wasn't. So your assumptions have not been confirmed - quite the opposite.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Your correct ... this is for self assessment. I'm just trying to cover all bases and think of any risks.

RE: CT and VAT not being paid and company dissolved all those liabilities are now gone with previous ltd co. This is correct, right?

Secondly, is there a way to negotiate any of these with HMRC or go on a payment plan with them? (Obviously I will be trying to get previous accountancy to commit funds, but again this is not their problem, regardless of what they should have carried out under instruction, ultimately the buck stops with me.)

Thanks
                  Woah there trigger. Back up a little bit. As previously, you've lumped several different points into a couple of lines, then stuck in a third line that could relate to one or both of the above.

Did you close a company while owing CT & VAT?
                  When was the company dissolved?
                  What do you mean by "negotiate any of these"? Any of what?
                  Why would your previous accountant be using their own money to pay bills that you (or your company) owe?

Have you filed your 2015/16 self assessment yet?
                  Have you filed your 2016/17 self assessment yet?

Do you realise that your accountant - whether it is SJD or someone else - will send you out questionnaires and paperwork for you to fill in regarding your self assessment and they will not submit your SA until you approve it?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                  X