• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-UK Resident and Non-EU Citizen Spouse as Salaried Employee in Holland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-UK Resident and Non-EU Citizen Spouse as Salaried Employee in Holland?

I wish to employ my spouse as a salaried employee in my UK limited company. She's a non-EU citizen, resident in Holland where she has a work permit, and never lived in the UK. Is it possible to have a UK employment contract with her while working as overseas staff, so that she is subject to UK taxes?

She is liable to taxes where she is resident. If she's working for your company in the Netherlands, then that's where she pays taxes.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
      I wish to employ my spouse as a salaried employee in my UK limited company. She's a non-EU citizen, resident in Holland where she has a work permit, and never lived in the UK. Is it possible to have a UK employment contract with her while working as overseas staff, so that she is subject to UK taxes?
      No. She would have to travel to the UK for periods of work to that, and she would have to show evidence of such travel.

Even so, by having a close connection to the Netherlands, she would have to pay the balance in taxes in the Netherlands as well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My hope was that she could pay taxes in the UK and not pay taxes in the Netherlands due to the double taxation agreement, thereby benefiting from both allowances. However, my accountant has since informed me that she needs an NI number, and she can only have this if she is eligible to work in the UK, which she is not. So, it's a nonstarter anyway.

Comment

A simple £1200 visa application will get her a 5 year one - if married to you and you earn over £20K

Thought about the dividend route ?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            A simple £1200 visa application will get her a 5 year one - if married to you and you earn over £20K

Thought about the dividend route ?
            I earn over £20k in the UK once salary, dividends and rental income is added up, but not on salary alone. I'll look into the £1200 visa application option then. At £702 per month (my accountant's recommendation), assuming 40% tax bracket, that's £16,848 saving over five years.

I'm not sure the dividend option will work as she won't have access to the UK personal allowance without an NI number. But I suppose it's an alternative option if she gets the visa. She could use the whole of the £11,850 allowance instead of just £8424 of it if she's paid a salary.

Comment

Get the uk visa anyway it will give your wife some stability and comfort anyway and make for a happier wife

Comment

Working...
              X