• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overseas contract with existing employer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overseas contract with existing employer

First post so i apologise in advance for repeating any previous thread i've missed!

I'm moving to Australia in Q4 this year, my current employer has offered to switch me from permanent to a 6M contract role for the move as there is work i can do remote while i get setup and find a new job (also hopefully contract ).

Very new to the contract world so my initial questions:

1) IR35 research so far tells me that i'd clearly fall inside, so an umbrella is the way forward?
    2) I've been asked if i'd prefer UK contract paid in GBP, or AUS in AUD....my instinct tells me the latter, but wanted to check i'm not missing anything obvious here?
    3) Any gotchas for moving overseas onto a contract role from UK perm?

Thanks in advance for any advice

I think, given that you'll be working in Australia, it's their regime you need to know, not the UK's.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Will you be bleeding any radiators? Might be a bit tricky from half way around the world wouldn't it?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Will you be bleeding any radiators? Might be a bit tricky from half way around the world wouldn't it?
        nah just switch to automotive

ADRAD Group - Australia's Radiator Supplier

and for others

Australian Gladiators | GladiatorsTV.com

Seriously as mentioned above its the Australian rules, theirs are supposed to be slightly more defined and easier to obey but ask your new accountant Bruce.

Considering you will be spending in Aus$ and we have no idea what will happen to sterling in the next year I would go with Aus$ if the £ tanks you can buy Bradford with your coffee allowance!

Sounds like a great idea to have work to move to, help setting up and an opportunity to network over there.

Last edited by vetran; 31 July 2018, 11:25.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Bradford - given the choice, I'd rather have a coffee.

Comment

Thanks for the great responses

IT contracting so much less hands on than bleeding radiators - my fingers would probably shrivel and fall off at the thought of such heavy lifting...

Sounds like an AUD contract is the way forward via umbrella company....will probably work out better for renting out property in UK once the tax year rolls too...

No beef with Bradford...Liverpool on the other hand

Comment

OK - fun's over. Thread moved!
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
              X