• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the contract negotiations have started...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been at this gig now for nearly 2 years! At the end of this contract it will be two years (end of Jan) my manager has asked me if I want to extend my contact by a further 3 possibly 6 months, then by a further 6 months.....

So I've laid the following on the table.

rate rise by x%

Change of working address to different site miles away to I don't have issues with expenses.

Change notice period to 6 weeks from 4 weeks (both parties)

lets see what happens......

SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Are you caught by IR35 or not? If not changing the notice period probably isnt the best way to go. Might be better to ask for 6 months of work then you do it as you see fit.

Comment

outside IR35
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
        Change of working address to different site miles away to I don't have issues with expenses.
        And how does this work then?

You are still going to drive to the old address. It's where you go to every day that matters. Not the registered address of the company on the contract.

tim

Comment

You are supposed to stop claiming mileage when you know you will be there two years and not when you reach two years.

In other words if you have been travelling to the same site for a year and you get a 1 one extension contract, that's it, you can't claim any more.

Saying that I worked with a guy on the same contract for 8 years and he still claimed travel to work.

Comment

Why would you increase the notice though? Unless you think you are getting the boot I wouldnt want to have to give 6 weeks notice anywhere.

What if you get a killer position lined up but they need you quicker than 6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
              What if you get a killer position lined up but they need you quicker than 6 weeks.
              Then you just leave anyway, sod the notice. After all, you have to show you are in business on your own account. Besides, the agent will always smooth things over for you, it is what they are there for after all.

hth

SB in "look after No 1" mode
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Seriously though, then you are technically in breach of contract surely and open to legal repercusions?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by kirk
                  Seriously though, then you are technically in breach of contract surely and open to legal repercusions?!?!
                  If you are in breach of contract - the only avenue open to a Gentleman would be to shoot oneself.

I know I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                    Why would you increase the notice though? Unless you think you are getting the boot I wouldnt want to have to give 6 weeks notice anywhere.

I want the increased notice because work is 5 mins away walking, the rate is nice and high, the client value me, and Im enjoying what I'm doing, oh and my parter also is working for the same company...
                    SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                    X