• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting distance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuting distance

I'm on the verge of taking a contract that will require a 140 mile round trip every day to get to the client office and back.

I've never done this before and just wondering what sort of distance others travel to get to work. If you travel a long distance, do you feel knackered at the end of every day and does it impede on your productivity?

i did a 100 mile round trip earlier this year.

It was a really sh*t contract for a software company though (me and software co's don't get on) and I really can't say whether the trip effected my work or not.

I was however lucky enough to find a cross country route that I loved driving. Lots of narrow and twisty peak district roads to eat up
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I used to do 88 miles each way (so 176 round trip). Other than totally fecking the value of my car by putting close to 1000 miles a week on it I loved it.

Was a bit annoying to get up at 4am as it was a 2 hour drive and I had to start at 6am.

The only times it started to grate me was during the winter and when there was a big accident on a motorway and the whole road system turned to tulip.

Luckily though it was at a place which was 100 meters from country side and I could use that and some road that only a few people used to get the majority of the way home.

In the end got it down to about 80 mins each way (what can I say...it was a roman road)

Comment

I think I'd like to cycle it, maybe take the train or drive when it's a bit wet & windy.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I did a 150 mile round trip for a seven week contract a few years ago. It nearly killed me. Never again. Book a B&B/Travelodge for 4 nights a week and commute Monday and Friday. You know it makes sense...
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

120 miles each day for 9 months. giving the car a right good workout am i. average time 1hr 15 in (virgin and R4) and 1 hour 40 out (iPod). required working hours are normal (rather than usual 12 hour madness) which means not too tiring at all. beats the hell out of being abroad all week. need a replacement car soon though.

Comment

Can't be bothered with long commutes anymore. Don't even consider roles now that can't be done from home or where there's an easy commute. More than 30 mins commute and the rate goes up big time.

But then, I pick the contracts I want to do and not the other way round.

HTH

Comment

It depends on the traffic. I don't mind the distance, but what kills me is queuing up on the motorway because of road works or (even worse), some idiot who shouldn't even be on skates smashed himself/herself
                Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  I think I'd like to cycle it, maybe take the train or drive when it's a bit wet & windy.
                  I'd take the train if I was on 2 grand a day like you Threaded. Has anybody investigated the cost-effectiveness of season tickets for trains?

Comment

Clean up - please ignore. Thank you
                    Last edited by LegendsWear7; 10 December 2008, 14:11. Reason: Clean up - please ignore. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X