• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who is paying for all this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is paying for all this?

LONDON (Reuters) - The family of a Brazilian electrician, killed by police who thought he was a suicide bomber, lost a High Court bid on Thursday to hold the individual officers accountable.

Jean Charles De Menezes, 27, was shot in the head seven times after he was mistaken for a possible bomber at Stockwell underground station in the highly charged aftermath of last year's fatal attacks on London's transport system.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) decided in July no officer involved in the bungled operation should face charges. Instead London's Metropolitan Police as a whole is to be prosecuted next October on health and safety charges.

The family's lawyers argued at the High Court the failure to prosecute police for murder amounted to a breach of article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights covering the right to life.
    Is Cherie in on this gravy chain?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll
    Is Cherie in on this gravy chain?
    I agree it's a scandal that no police officer will face charges for actually killing the poor guy. I think that a trial would have helped clear a few things up - e.g. why CCTV footage went missing for a few months, why initial reports suggested he was vaulting ticket barriers and why later reports suggested he was not. Don't see that's a reason to go after Cherie Booth though.
    I think however that burying stuff has been the fashion for a long time. I refer m'learned friend to several incidents in Northern Ireland.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I understood the poor chap was breaking the law of the land every day by being an illegal immigrant without papers or the right to reside/work. As a consequence no doubt he was paying zero income tax or NI. I mention this because the way I've seen more than 1 or 2 media outlets portray him as some kind of angel (in order to emphasise the therefore corresponding 'evil' of the Met. Police) and extract maximum outrage from Joe Public is galling and inaccurate. If the UK had its house in order he would have been deported long ago and he would be (possibly) safely dead in Brazil now rather than on the London Underground.

I've spent significant time in some parts of Brazil and having seen more than my share of dodgy wiring jobs there (bare wires hanging out of the shower head anybody?) his skills would have been viable there.

Gun crime is so common in Brazil that the (brutal) police squads rarely investigate and indeed are known to be the shooters all too frequently. There is no investigation, analysis, media furore, court battle or expectations of major pay day. Bonanza.

[Guns kill one person in Brazil every 15 minutes, giving it the world's highest death toll from firearms. Last year, there were 36,000 shooting deaths. The UN says guns are the biggest cause of death among young people in Brazil.]

http://www.swpictures.co.uk/archive/0457.html

My maths suggests that's around ONE HUNDRED GUN MURDERS *PER DAY* !!

So his family lives in a society where this is the norm.

I'm not motivated right now to search for more quotable sources.

I'm not saying that because Menezes would have been just another statistic in Brazil that we in W. Europe should ignore the sad case. But I do think some parties seem to have an agenda here and are pushing his family stage-front (with the lure of a lottery type payout) if they keep this in the news. The very precise details of this guy's sorry end are not so important as I'm more concerned with the overall standard of security our police forces can assure us. I think none of us want a police officer to be in a lethal (terrorist) zero-sum situation and hesitate from taking the required action because of hooey like this.
      Last edited by LegendsWear7; 15 December 2006, 07:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy
        I agree it's a scandal that no police officer will face charges for actually killing the poor guy. I think that a trial would have helped clear a few things up - e.g. why CCTV footage went missing for a few months, why initial reports suggested he was vaulting ticket barriers and why later reports suggested he was not. Don't see that's a reason to go after Cherie Booth though.
        I think however that burying stuff has been the fashion for a long time. I refer m'learned friend to several incidents in Northern Ireland.
        What is there to clear up - the Met got it wrong in a time of hightened tension - similar to the shooting of Stephen Waldorf or the man carrying a chair leg- a tragic mistake.

Getting at the Met through Health and Safety is ridiculous as in the end the punishment of the organisation does not affect in any real way the officers who made the mistakes.

The Met will get fined and it is we the people who will have to foot the bill from our taxes.

It has happened before, it will happen again
        Pay the compensation and move on
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The Met lied about him jumping barriers and the like, blanked the security tape, and lied again.

I think that should be investigated.

Comment

Here we go, Health and Safety again. It's getting so that you can't even shoot an innocent man in the head at point blank range until there's nothing left to shoot at, without those interfering busybodies making a fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by LegendsWear7
              II'm not saying that because Menezes would have been just another statistic in Brazil that we in W. Europe should ignore the sad case. But I do think some parties seem to have an agenda here and are pushing his family stage-front (with the lure of a lottery type payout) if they keep this in the news. The very precise details of this guy's sorry end are not so important as I'm more concerned with the overall standard of security our police forces can assure us.
              I'm not sure he was working or residing here illegally but really that is beside the point. A man was shot in the head several (nine?) times and there are armed police officers roaming London who could do that to any one else because they may not have the experience to act another way. It could be me or you next and there would be no come back. This worries me and I think that needs an explaination - this would move towards ensuring our security.

I do agree, however, that there seems to be another agenda. I don't think that should prevent us from holding our security services to account in public.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

It could be me or you next and there would be no come back.
                That's Blair's Britain.

What was it like in the good old days before Blair? When the Bill had a smile for everyone, said "ello ello ello" a lot, and put young vagabonds back onto the straight and narrow with a good clip round the ear?

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
                  That's Blair's Britain.

What was it like in the good old days before Blair? When the Bill had a smile for everyone, said "ello ello ello" a lot, and put young vagabonds back onto the straight and narrow with a good clip round the ear?
                  Buggered if I know. I'm not sure if anyone on here is that old to remember that, I just have an old-fashioned objection to being shot in the head for no good reason.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Buggered if I know. I'm not sure if anyone on here is that old to remember that, I just have an old-fashioned objection to being shot in the head for no good reason.
                    Me too. Over the last couple of years or so I suddenly feel less safe from my own police!

Of course, Blair will say it's justified because we have a new threat in our midst from Brazilian electricians, but whose fault is that? Who upset them in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                    X