PDA

View Full Version : Westminster attack again

vetran
14th August 2018, 12:14
Seems the new measures (replacing the barriers) worked 3 injured apparently.

Westminster terror attack: CCTV shows car mowing down cyclists | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6058215/Armed-police-race-Houses-Parliament-car-smashes-barriers.html)

Dramatic CCTV of Westminster terror attack shows car mowing down cyclists before taking aim at two police officers who leap out of the way as it smashes into security barriers - as man in his 20s is arrested
Terror suspect in his twenties has been arrested after Ford Fiesta hit crowds and smashed into barriers
Suspect was pulled from the car by armed officers who surrounded vehicle outside St Stephen's entrance
Unnamed man is refusing to give his name or any potential motive but he may have aimed at police officers
Pedestrians and cyclists describe car on wrong side of road then swerving deliberately to hit them at 50mph
'Terrorism act' cordon set up in all directions from Trafalgar Square, Westminster Bridge and Lambeth Bridge
Crash came 17 months after Khalid Masood killed 5 on Westminster Bridge before murdering PC Keith Palmer

Zigenare
14th August 2018, 12:16
Seems the new measures (replacing the barriers) worked 3 injured apparently.

Westminster terror attack: CCTV shows car mowing down cyclists | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6058215/Armed-police-race-Houses-Parliament-car-smashes-barriers.html)

Dramatic CCTV of Westminster terror attack shows car mowing down cyclists

They say that like it's a bad thing...

vetran
14th August 2018, 12:21
They say that like it's a bad thing...

I'm glad the new measures worked, I am sad the attack happened and anyone was hurt.

LondonManc
14th August 2018, 12:24
At least you can't get infracted for claiming it's a terror attack now it's a terror attack...

Move along NaT, nothing to see here. :p

Zigenare
14th August 2018, 12:25
I'm glad the new measures worked, I am sad the attack happened and anyone was hurt.

There's something fundamentally flawed with the theory that building better defenses will prevent attacks from happening.

NickFitz
14th August 2018, 12:36
The guy's obviously not very good at the planning-and-executing-a-terrorist-attack thing.

For a start, Parliament isn't even sitting at the moment.

And from the video, it looks like he was heading for where he finally ended up, then decided to swerve at the last minute to hit the cyclists/pedestrians. He nearly collided with an ambulance running under blue lights as he did so, which would have stopped his attack in its tracks. Then he veered back on course and drove into a barrier that's clearly not going to crumple beneath the wheels of a Ford Fiesta.

Remember, people: you should carry out your attack when the people you're attacking are likely to be in the place you attack, you should make sure you're properly equipped to overcome obvious obstacles, and you shouldn't decide to do something else as well on the spur of the moment when you're almost there.

0/10 would not recommend if I was in the business of recommending terrorists :rolleyes:

Zigenare
14th August 2018, 12:42
At least you can't get infracted for claiming it's a terror attack now it's a terror attack...

Move along NaT, nothing to see here. :p

Where is the power crazed little tulip?

vetran
14th August 2018, 12:45
There's something fundamentally flawed with the theory that building better defenses will prevent attacks from happening.

Defences don't stop attacks they reduce their effects. It seems to have worked.

Bean
14th August 2018, 12:52
The guy's obviously not very good at the planning-and-executing-a-terrorist-attack thing.

For a start, Parliament isn't even sitting at the moment.

And from the video, it looks like he was heading for where he finally ended up, then decided to swerve at the last minute to hit the cyclists/pedestrians. He nearly collided with an ambulance running under blue lights as he did so, which would have stopped his attack in its tracks. Then he veered back on course and drove into a barrier that's clearly not going to crumple beneath the wheels of a Ford Fiesta.

Remember, people: you should carry out your attack when the people you're attacking are likely to be in the place you attack, you should make sure you're properly equipped to overcome obvious obstacles, and you shouldn't decide to do something else as well on the spur of the moment when you're almost there.

0/10 would not recommend if I was in the business of recommending terrorists :rolleyes:

Luckily for the rest of us, most of those people who try to engage in such attacks are catastrophically stupid.

Another terror suspect from the Midlands? What is going on...

Glad nobody died this time.

SunnyInHades
14th August 2018, 12:55
Sadiq Khan .. "the threat of terror attacks are 'part and parcel of living in a big city'"

London terrorism 'attacks' are now part of the tourist trail ...

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/14/13/4F156D1F00000578-6058215-Three_tourists_pose_for_a_group_selfie_at_the_poli ce_cordon_on_W-a-130_1534249650452.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/14/13/4F151F6600000578-6058215-A_man_poses_for_a_photo_on_Westminster_Bridge_toda y_after_it_was-a-132_1534249657720.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/14/13/4F1684C100000578-6059095-image-a-42_1534250929131.jpg

Zigenare
14th August 2018, 12:58
Defences don't stop attacks they reduce their effects. It seems to have worked.

Not on the cyclists.

barrydidit
14th August 2018, 13:06
Not on the cyclists.

Any word on damage to the bikes? :mad

Zigenare
14th August 2018, 13:08
Any word on damage to the bikes? :mad

Off to the scrap heap where they belong!

NickFitz
14th August 2018, 13:17
Sadiq Khan .. "the threat of terror attacks are 'part and parcel of living in a big city'… It is a reality I'm afraid that London, New York, other major cities around the world have got to be prepared for these sorts of things. That means being vigilant, having a police force that is in touch with communities, it means the security services being ready, but also it means exchanging ideas and best practice."

Something seems to have gone wrong with your post and cut off the rest of the quotation. FTFY.

vetran
14th August 2018, 13:39
Not on the cyclists.

3 injured (2 with minor injuries) against 5 killed and many injured. I would say that was an improvement.

LondonManc
14th August 2018, 14:00
Where is the power crazed little tulip?

He's busy comparing burkhas to postboxes. Oh, ah, you mean NaT......

Zigenare
14th August 2018, 14:02
3 injured (2 with minor injuries) against 5 killed and many injured. I would say that was an improvement.

Against 5 killed where? Are you assuming that the defences in place to protect the HoP helped to protect the cyclists? You're stretching things there.

WTFH
14th August 2018, 14:03
London terrorism 'attacks' are now part of the tourist trail ...

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/14/13/4F156D1F00000578-6058215-Three_tourists_pose_for_a_group_selfie_at_the_poli ce_cordon_on_W-a-130_1534249650452.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/14/13/4F151F6600000578-6058215-A_man_poses_for_a_photo_on_Westminster_Bridge_toda y_after_it_was-a-132_1534249657720.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/14/13/4F1684C100000578-6059095-image-a-42_1534250929131.jpg

Or photographers grab chance to get a photo standing on the bridge with the Palace of Westminster in the background without hoards of others or traffic marring the view. But that doesn't fit with the agenda, does it?

Zigenare
14th August 2018, 14:05
Or photographers grab chance to get a photo standing on the bridge with the Palace of Westminster in the background without hoards of others or traffic marring the view. But that doesn't fit with the agenda, does it?

Would've made a better picture with a certain blue helicopter on the bridge... ...again.

WTFH
14th August 2018, 14:16
Would've made a better picture with a certain blue helicopter on the bridge... ...again.

You referring to G-LCPL? It's grey, not blue. ;)

Zigenare
14th August 2018, 14:24
You referring to G-LCPL? It's grey, not blue. ;)

Nope. Not that.

This... (http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/11121/about-that-blue-thunder-counter-terror-chopper-that-landed-on-london-bridge)

darmstadt
14th August 2018, 16:16
So what is it:

Police have not launched a manhunt in relation to the attack, and said there was no one else in the car and no intelligence of a further risk to the public in London or elsewhere in Britain.

or

Theresa May has said the UK's terror threat level remains at "severe", following this morning's crash.

It means a fresh attack is highly likely.

It's just so confusing...

vetran
14th August 2018, 16:21
So what is it:

or

It's just so confusing...

Using single or dual attackers in multiple waves is hardly confusing, its standard tactics.

Maybe the person caught is known to fraternise with other suspects who have gone underground, therefore future attacks are likely?

darmstadt
14th August 2018, 17:14
Using single or dual attackers in multiple waves is hardly confusing, its standard tactics.

Maybe the person caught is known to fraternise with other suspects who have gone underground, therefore future attacks are likely?

Although according to all media reports, no-one has a clue who he is....

OwlHoot
14th August 2018, 17:42

For a start, Parliament isn't even sitting at the moment. ...

Apparently he was being tailed by a white van. So maybe that spooked him into switching to a spur of the moment Plan B.

vetran
14th August 2018, 18:18
Although according to all media reports, no-one has a clue who he is....

yawn

Police raid addresses in Nottingham and Birmingham over Westminster 'terror attack': British suspect who WAS known to officers but not MI5 'used a Ford Fiesta bought two months ago to mow down 15 cyclists'
Terror suspect in twenties arrested after Ford Fiesta hit crowds and smashed into barriers outside Parliament
Suspect was pulled from the car by armed officers who surrounded vehicle outside St Stephen's entrance
Unnamed man is refusing to co-operate or give any potential motive but he may have aimed at police officers
Pedestrians and cyclists describe car on wrong side of road then swerving deliberately to hit them at 50mph
Crash came 17 months after Khalid Masood killed 5 on Westminster Bridge before murdering PC Keith Palmer
Security beefed up since then and Ford Fiesta was stopped by new barrier able to repel speeding lorry
Did you see the incident or know the arrested man? Email martin.robinson@mailonline.co.uk

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/14/car-crashes-security-barriers-houses-of-parliament

It is understood police have identified the man and that he is from the Midlands. The owner of the car is known to police, the Guardian understands, although it is unclear whether the suspect is that owner.

NotAllThere
15th August 2018, 04:33
So what is it:

Police have not launched a manhunt in relation to the attack, and said there was no one else in the car and no intelligence of a further risk to the public in London or elsewhere in Britain.

or

Theresa May has said the UK's terror threat level remains at "severe", following this morning's crash.

It means a fresh attack is highly likely.

It's just so confusing...A fresh attack remains as likely as before the attack, but plod and the spooks have no specific intelligence about one. Not too hard to comprehend.

The driver is a recently British fellow of Sudanese origin, so probably Muslim, but no motive has been announced although it's still be treated as a terrorist incident.

LondonManc
15th August 2018, 07:47
A fresh attack remains as likely as before the attack, but plod and the spooks have no specific intelligence about one. Not too hard to comprehend.

The driver is a recently British fellow of Sudanese origin, so probably Muslim, but no motive has been announced although it's still be treated as a terrorist incident.

Infract yourself you hypocrite!!! :p

NotAllThere
15th August 2018, 10:02
Infract yourself you hypocrite!!! :p

Why? Most people from (Northern) Sudan are Muslim. If a Muslim carries out a terrorist attack, then there's strong possibility it's related to his interpretation of his religion. He certainly seems to be following the pattern "known to the police".

Hobosapien
15th August 2018, 11:47
For all we know he is just a bit looney tunes and relied on his sat nav too much.

NotAllThere
15th August 2018, 14:45
For all we know he is just a bit looney tunes and relied on his sat nav too much.

If that were the case, it wouldn't be treated as a terrorist incident.

darmstadt
21st August 2018, 18:39
Or not:

Driver deliberately mows down group of screaming pedestrians who fail to get out the way | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6082857/Driver-deliberately-mows-group-screaming-pedestrians-fail-way.html)

Hobosapien
22nd August 2018, 07:57
While some of these attacks are likely to be rage / revenge related the chance of using vehicles for mass assault is obviously the new terror weapon of choice due to its easy availability.

So I look forward to 'AI' and the inevitable automated vehicles. Trucks and delivery vehicles are the obvious starting point as they have a pre-mappable route, can stick to the inside lane on motorways/dual carriageways, and avoid town/city centres while travelling between out of town delivery hubs, until the software is good enough to mix more thoroughly with less predictable traffic and human interactions.

For one I'm no longer bothered that driving a car will at some point in the near future become a thing of the past. The roads are full of numpties, cash generating scameras, and are in such a poor pot holed state that I prefer driving a van with it's soft suspension and don't give a **** 'white van man' attitude than a sports car.

Though this is just treating the symptom not the problem. Ban all religion until god proves 'he' exists. It'll be a long wait. :tumble: