• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian recruitment consultancies operating in the UK - ignoring GDPR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian recruitment consultancies operating in the UK - ignoring GDPR

Another moan about the above but it would appear that they are also ignoring requests to delete data they hold on record. I have three in the last week and I have politely asked them to delete all data they hold for me/my LTD - all three requets completely ignored as I still receive calls/emails from the same. Anyone else had similar?
    "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

You should complain to the ICO.

Comment

As a point of order : they don't have to delete your data on request if they have a genuine reason to keep it. They do have to inform you though.

Don't bother the ICO, that's a stupid idea at this stage. Submit a DSAR. I'd link some information but the ICO site is down
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

There is sometimes a caveat that it takes x number of days to process the request and you may get marketing material in the meantime. Lo and behold you receive a raft of them and then it goes quiet. It does appear some companies are using the remove me flag and delay to then hammer their mails before they do comply. Smells a bit desperate to me but seen it a few times when I've asked to be removed.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It appears as though citing that finding your details on a job board is the standard reason for contacting you now.

The number of pointless, non relevant approaches has shot UP since GDPR. It almost seemed like pre-GDPR was better for having notes about you on file about when/not to contact you.

Comment

If you have posted your CV with personal details on any job site, unless you remove said CV, even asking the recruiter to remove your details, they'll see receive your personal information via the jobsite - I don't think they're breaching GDPR, as the information is freely available in their domain.....

It is an annoyance - I have always worked in the insurance industry, but regularly get calls - always from overseas agencies - about jobs at Gatwick Airport, partly because of where I live and partly because I have worked on aviation insurance. That doesn't give me any skills whatsoever to assist me in working at an airport however!!

Comment

Doesn't surprise me. I know a guy who was hired to work in CH by an Indian company. They were in receipt of many a lawyers letter explaining why they needed to comply with Swiss employment law, before they finally started complying. Probably because all those letters were costing them a fortune.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

They are based in India, they don't have GDPR, although they should apply it when they operate in the EU of which Britain won't be part anymore very soon

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  They are based in India, they don't have GDPR, although they should apply it when they operate in the EU of which Britain won't be part anymore very soon

If they do business in the EU then they do have GDPR. They can be fined by the ICO. It's not a 'should apply', it's a 'will apply or risk losing a lot of cash.'

And if you think GDPR is going to disappear when we leave then think again.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I too get so many emails and linked in messages from indian recruitment companies. Are companies outsourcing recruitment now to over seas? They call with job offers which are non relevant to my skill set and completely different locations.

I have definitely seen a rise in number of indian recruitment companies contacting me

Comment

Working...
                    X