• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule and work place

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month rule and work place

Hi

First time poster and would really appreciate some help !

I have taken a number of contract extensions with the same client working in the same building for nearly 24 months and I am now very aware of the 24 month rule relating to work place and that I will no longer be able to claim expenses (I am working away from home 5 days per week and claiming travel and accommodation expenses. The client wishes to extend my contract by a minimum of 3 months at the same work location, however I have advised of the 24 month constraint so we are now looking at potential options for me to work out of another location but from a location that is approximately 15 miles from where I am currently located.

Can anyone provide any advice as to what HMRC see as a minimum distance from the current work location to another work location which would then 're-set' the 24 month rule? I hope my constraint above is clear enough for anyone to help me. Thank you

There is no hard and fast rule. The general guidance is that for it to be considered a "new" workplace, there should be a significant change to the journey time and/or cost. Distance is not the only indicator (see the classic "bridge" example where a worker needs to work at the other end of a bridge - relatively close but involving a more costly and lengthy journey).

Comment

If only we had a massive sticky thread about the 24 month rule.

But what TCP said.

It's about geographic location so IMO upwards of 10 miles would be difficult to defend if its still in Greater Manchester for example. I can't help think 15 miles will also be difficult to defend if its far enough away to require staying away, particularly if its closer to home. The further away it is, the smaller the percentage change in the overall journey. The actual route may also add further complications.

If it's still a grey area then I'd ask your accountant just to see what they say and then make your own call based on the risk. Is the risk of a challenge vs losing a lot of money from the a gig insignificant to you? If so fill your boots.

If the client is so accommodating can they not meet half way with the costs through a rate rise? Can you not screw the agents commission a little (if an agent is involved)?
      Last edited by northernladuk; 22 August 2018, 16:13.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just checking something. You know you have to stop when you KNOW you are going over the 24 months? So if the last 3 month extension takes you to 24 months and a day you can't claiming anything during that 3 monther?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Just checking something. You know you have to stop when you KNOW you are going over the 24 months? So if the last 3 month extension takes you to 24 months and a day you can't claiming anything during that 3 monther?
          WHS. An HMRC bod once told me their rule of thumb tends to be postcode based (as in, if your place of work is in the same postcode district as your last place of work, they treat your expense claims as if you haven't actually moved). And they treated London postcodes as one. That was almost 20 years ago, and was only one person's opinion. AFAIK, there's no absolute rule, so they're free to disallow whatever they wish on whatever whim they choose. The only safe option is not to put yourself in a position whereby they can disallow your claims, and that may well involve taking a long break from the client and/or location.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I don't believe my accounts list the locations of my clients. Even contracts specify the legal office address of the client and not their actual business office.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
              I don't believe my accounts list the locations of my clients. Even contracts specify the legal office address of the client and not their actual business office.
              If you're claiming mileage or rail/air fares they will spot a location pattern immediately. Just to be clear, what is in your accounts or your contracts will have little or no significance when it comes to personal expense claims.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

In an investigation they come and go through everything with a fine toothed comb. They'll find out.

Although that is interesting. As far as I can remember every single gig of mine has had the cliebt location on the contract. For the reason above I don't see any advantage of having it removed though.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  In an investigation they come and go through everything with a fine toothed comb. They'll find out.

Although that is interesting. As far as I can remember every single gig of mine has had the cliebt location on the contract. For the reason above I don't see any advantage of having it removed though.
                  Well I think you've said it... "In an investigation" and that is quite a rare event that would only normally be triggered if you took the piss.
                  Last edited by TwoWolves; 22 August 2018, 21:49.

Comment

Well I think you've said it... "In an investigation" and that is quite a rare event that would only normally be triggered if you took the piss.
                    Can be triggered for any number of flags. Doesn't mean you can be slap dash with your accounts. You'll only be getting away with it until you aren't so why not do it properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X