• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

dividend question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dividend question

Just a quickie - Is there any rule against paying a dividend greater than the profit ? plc's do it so I assume its OK.

the company will have minimal trade this year but is cash rich - I intend to just take a dividend to extract some of the cash, then close it with a capital distribution - S220 or something ?

I seem to remember seeing some warning somewhere that the company can get classed as an investment vehicle and this is a bad thing ?

The main problem arises when the company declares a dividend greater than the distributable reserves...i.e the retained profits shown on the balance sheet.

Comment

thanks

cheers Darren

I cant see myself declaring a divi of more than I have - presumably that happens when people are trying to give everything to a minority shareholder through a divi ?

Comment

Re: thanks

I've seen it happen a few times where people think that they've made a lot enough during the year when on paper they haven't, so take out more than they have really earned.

Comment

Working...
        X