• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solicitors are they more of a rip-off than IT contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitors are they more of a rip-off than IT contractors?

I'm buying and selling a house and quoted 2.4k to handle the sale of my house and the purchase of another.

It seems so straightforward, why would it cost 2.4k? Is this a normal going rate? This is a solicitor recommended by the agent of the house we are buying, any recommendations on choosing a solicitor?

God, please forgive me for posting this in general.

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm buying and selling a house and quoted 2.4k to handle the sale of my house and the purchase of another.

It seems so straightforward, why would it cost 2.4k? Is this a normal going rate? This is a solicitor recommended by the agent of the house we are buying, any recommendations on choosing a solicitor?

That's probably not far off as they are handling both a sale and a purchase. Have you had a breakdown of both. I imagine the purchase is most expensive as there are the extras like searches etc. You could ring round a few local firms and get quotes, alternatively you could use one of the online conveyancing places, they are usually cheaper, not sure on the quality though.

I did get a quote through reallymoving.com. I think you get 3 quotes from them, they were cheaper than a local firm, but not by much, so i went with a recommended local firm.

Comment

Bought our last house 5 years ago. Just checked the bill £1028 - we weren't selling, just buying.

What you've been quoted for both ends seems reasonable.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I have a solicitor friend he says most is outsourced to an Indian company for £5 /hour who check and put everything together - he just takes a 15 min glance before billing

Comment

Sounds about right: £1000+VAT per transaction.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I wouldn't go with a solicitor recommended by the agent though. Chances are some of that fee is going to them in commission.

Always get quotes from local and web-based conveyancers. I prefer local as you can just pop into the offices to do things like verify your identity and sign documents without the worry of losing things in the post.

Comment

£2400 - for an average IT contractor, that's about 5 days worth of work.

In that time, a solicitor will sell your entire house for you.

An IT contractor may have just about chosen the font for the BRD.

In conclusion, in answer to the original question, no, probably not.

Comment

Bought and sold in 2015 and solicitor fees (excluding searches, land registry etc) was £2.5k so seems right. Compared to stamp duty this was small change!!!!
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Personal recommendation is the way forward here. Whilst price is obviously a significant factor, a cheap Solicitor can be an extremely costly mistake. If things go wrong you want someone who is on your side and is available to speak to which in my experience, you tend not to get from the large low cost call centre style firms.

Comment

£2.5k is like daily growth in house prices.

BUY BUY BUY!!!

HTH

DimPrawn

Comment

Working...
                    X