• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Katie Hopkins applies for insolvency agreement to avoid bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Katie Hopkins applies for insolvency agreement to avoid bankruptcy

Jack Monroe, who won a libel action against columnist, says ‘it’s sad two tweets cost Hopkins her house, job and credit rating’

Katie Hopkins has applied for an insolvency agreement (IVA) in a bid to avoid bankruptcy following a costly libel case involving the food writer Jack Monroe.

Last year, the rightwing commentator was ordered to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds in damages and legal costs after Hopkins sent tweets in 2015 which falsely implied Monroe backed the defacement of war memorials by protestors.

Monroe originally asked for Hopkins to apologise and donate £5,000 to a migrants’ charity or she would sue. But Hopkins – who had confused Monroe with the columnist Laurie Penny – refused to back down, resulting in a costly court case, with the commentator forced to pay £24,000 in damages and a substantially larger sum in legal costs.

Meanwhile, her mainstream media career collapsed. She parted ways with Mail Online, for whom she had written a regular column, in late 2017, only a few months after losing her LBC radio show when she called for a “final solution” in response to the Manchester Arena terrorist attack. She now works for the far-right Canadian outlet Rebel Media.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...tly-libel-case

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Jack Monroe, who won a libel action against columnist, says ‘it’s sad two tweets cost Hopkins her house, job and credit rating’

Katie Hopkins has applied for an insolvency agreement (IVA) in a bid to avoid bankruptcy following a costly libel case involving the food writer Jack Monroe.

Last year, the rightwing commentator was ordered to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds in damages and legal costs after Hopkins sent tweets in 2015 which falsely implied Monroe backed the defacement of war memorials by protestors.

Monroe originally asked for Hopkins to apologise and donate £5,000 to a migrants’ charity or she would sue. But Hopkins – who had confused Monroe with the columnist Laurie Penny – refused to back down, resulting in a costly court case, with the commentator forced to pay £24,000 in damages and a substantially larger sum in legal costs.

Meanwhile, her mainstream media career collapsed. She parted ways with Mail Online, for whom she had written a regular column, in late 2017, only a few months after losing her LBC radio show when she called for a “final solution” in response to the Manchester Arena terrorist attack. She now works for the far-right Canadian outlet Rebel Media.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...tly-libel-case
    Karma's a bitch and so is she.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yeh, mustn't blame anyone, or any group, for their own failings. It's all society's fault.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

#ThoughtsAndPrayers
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I agree with a lot of what she says. So do a lot of other people. Wouldn't do to all be the same.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            I agree with a lot of what she says. So do a lot of other people. Wouldn't do to all be the same.
            Careful - the wailing masses will be on here soon to call you a racist homophobic bigot.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Careful - the wailing masses will be on here soon to call you a racist homophobic bigot.

Badges I wear with pride.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

To some extent I'd agree, although some of it was just too toxic. Either way I did like the way she just fired in and for the most part weathered it. She certainly sparked plenty of debate which I do think was good. As Lockhouse says, not good to all be the same.

That said if you live by the sword etc so it's difficult to be too sympathetic. I've a feeling it's not as bad as it sounds for her. She's a smart cookie and has to know something like this would happen. I'm sure she's got some dodgy setup going that won't put her on the streets just yet.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You agree with a professional troll? Well done......I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    To some extent I'd agree, although some of it was just too toxic. Either way I did like the way she just fired in and for the most part weathered it. She certainly sparked plenty of debate which I do think was good. As Lockhouse says, not good to all be the same.

That said if you live by the sword etc so it's difficult to be too sympathetic. I've a feeling it's not as bad as it sounds for her. She's a smart cookie and has to know something like this would happen. I'm sure she's got some dodgy setup going that won't put her on the streets just yet.
                    Many an entrepreneur has been bankrupt at some stage in their career. One famous on is dragons dens' own Peter Jones. Now he hasn't done so bad for himself since then.

Comment

Working...
                    X