• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nice car hire for a change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice car hire for a change

I was in the fine island of Ireland at the weekend and picked up a car from Avis (for the Avios). Asked for a fairly standard Astra type effort, got given a rather nice A3 saloon. Not having driven one before, I was quite pleased.

Pros:
    It was black (all too often get given white cars)
    It was manual (yeah auto is apparently easy but I just don't get them)
    Lovely gear box - wonderfully easy gear changes
    Nicely nippy, decent acceleration when needed
    Cruise control easy to use and intuitive
    Decent boot space
    Good direct steering, felt like it was going exactly where I wanted it to, when I wanted it to

Cons:
    The screen that automatically lauches itself on the top of the dashboard when you start up really pissed me off - very distracting. Had to keep pushing it down at the start of each trip. When I told the OH to put some music on, it (understandably) launched itself but then I kept being distracted by him navigating the system to sync bluetooth etc. Very poor design.
    Diesel engine was really underpowered. It was nippy but I could tell it could be better
    Way too many buttons and gizmos on the steering wheel
    Last edited by ladymuck; 18 September 2018, 13:08.

So in summary, Ladymuck is very pleased when she gets something bigger and even more so when it's black, has a good box and goes like the clappers when it's what she wants it to? The only problem was something kept popping up far to often for her needs.

Whodathunkit.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 September 2018, 13:43.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      So in summary, Ladymuck is very pleased when she gets something bigger and even more so when it's black, has a good box and goes like the clappers when it's what she wants it to? The only problem was something kept popping up far to often for her needs.

Whodathunkit.
      Pretty much, yes

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I was in the fine island of Ireland at the weekend and picked up a car from Avis (for the Avios). Asked for a fairly standard Astra type effort, got given a rather nice A3 saloon. Not having driven one before, I was quite pleased.

Pros:
        It was black (all too often get given white cars)
        It was manual (yeah auto is apparently easy but I just don't get them)
        Lovely gear box - wonderfully easy gear changes
        Nicely nippy, decent acceleration when needed
        Cruise control easy to use and intuitive
        Decent boot space
        Good direct steering, felt like it was going exactly where I wanted it to, when I wanted it to

Cons:
        The screen that automatically lauches itself on the top of the dashboard when you start up really pissed me off - very distracting. Had to keep pushing it down at the start of each trip. When I told the OH to put some music on, it (understandably) launched itself but then I kept being distracted by him navigating the system to sync bluetooth etc. Very poor design.
        Diesel engine was really underpowered. It was nippy but I could tell it could be better

Top lady car review - I liked the colour

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
          Top lady car review - I liked the colour
          I would have thought liking black would provoke one of racist outbursts.

Good to see your misogamy has not improved. Please forewarn us if it might change else we might get a huge shock.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
            I would have thought liking black would provoke one of racist outbursts.

Good to see your misogamy has not improved. Please forewarn us if it might change else we might get a huge shock.
            Nonsense, we've got one of our own now, times move on. Just a shame you can't.

Comment

Cons:
              You can stop it coming on at start up by giving the little button in the middle of the controls a long press. That swtiches off the radio, bluetooth, nav, etc as well. And if it's all turned off like that, then the screen won't pop up.

Voice commands, volume control, etc.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                You can stop it coming on at start up by giving the little button in the middle of the controls a long press. That swtiches off the radio, bluetooth, nav, etc as well. And if it's all turned off like that, then the screen won't pop up.
                Summary - RTFM
                Voice commands, volume control, etc.
                You'd think she would appreciate having something that does everything she says without answering back or doing a half baked job of it
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Summary - RTFM

You'd think she would appreciate having something that does everything she says without answering back or doing a half baked job of it
                  My experience of voice control in cars is that it is at best half baked!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    My experience of voice control in cars is that it is at best half baked!
                    Me, pushes button: I love you, take me home.
                    Alfa: WTFH, you're drunk again. We're parked outside the house.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X