• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parenting 2006

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parenting 2006

Is this not a sad indictment of parenting skills today?

Children under 10 think being a celebrity is the "very best thing in the world" but do not think quite as much of God, a survey has revealed.

The poll of just under 1,500 youngsters ranked "God" as their tenth favourite thing in the world, with celebrity, "good looks" and being rich at one, two and three respectively.

From The Daily Mail
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

At least

Originally posted by Chico

Children under 10 think being a celebrity is the "very best thing in the world" but do not think quite as much of God, a survey has revealed.

The poll of just under 1,500 youngsters ranked "God" as their tenth favourite thing in the world, with celebrity, "good looks" and being rich at one, two and three respectively.

From The Daily Mail
    celebrities are real people (OK, they might be slothful dullards who would make aTw look interesting by comparison), but at least they're not made-up.
    Why not?

Comment

Nothing changes

Having family in the entertainment industry (mother, was an actress, DJ, Model). Father a production designer I used to play a wonderful game as a child when it was said to me that someone wanted to work in entertainment/film or television.

I'd ask what career they wanted;

typist, carpenter, electrician, painter anything I could think of that was not in front of an audience or camera. (or a Director, Producer etc that is generally what people think of as a career in entertainment). Funny though that none of those careers was what they wanted.

PS Anybody who has been dropped into cold water at 2am. Or got blisters from some 18th Century waif's costume, or stood on a cold hillside recording something for the nth time would know that glamour is the last thing on one's mind.

Comment

My top n.

Joint No1’s Wealth and the Health to enjoy it.
        No.2. Good looks – it helps with getting someone to enjoy your wealth, but is not a necessity depending on the size of you wealth.

Celebrity – no thanks. It brings attention from those who would like to stop your enjoyment of wealth.

God – my fantasy of me being wealthy and good looking is wild enough. The existence of a god is going a bit too far.
        Drivel is my speciality

Comment

This message is hidden because Chico is on your ignore list.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Nope.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Contrariwise (I've always wanted to use that word)

isn't chico an awful indictment of parenting.
              Who would be so evil as to raise their child believing fairy-stories and discarding reason where it doesn't jibe with those fairy-stories?
              Time, and beyond time I think, to tear down all of the churches, mosques, synagogues, cathedrals and to ban all religion, before it causes any more damage.
              Why not?

Comment

From The Daily Mail
                Chico - put up the rest of the article which lists, amongst other things, that children think God is the most famous person in the work. It also states that war and killing is the worst thing in the world. I think that says a great deal for your average person. Says more about you though that you only selected one small part of the article.

Comment

Children under 10 think being a celebrity is the "very best thing in the world"
                  It just shows how kids are brought up by their Sun-reading, reality-TV-watching parents. Most of the celebrities I know say it might pay the bills but it is a pain in the arse.

They'd put a good shag first, followed by a good shit, then a good kip.

Except Bono, but then he's a c***.

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                    Who would be so evil as to raise their child believing fairy-stories and discarding reason where it doesn't jibe with those fairy-stories?
                    What, like Santa Claus?

Comment

Working...
                    X