• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU to dump the dollar? Euro to become global trade currency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU to dump the dollar? Euro to become global trade currency?

Very interesting development... and makes a lot of sense too. Why should the EU countries continue buying energy in dollars when the dollar is expensive and said energy comes from non-US countries, like Russia who are dumping dollars?

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker will argue the euro should become the global currency for trade instead of the U.S. dollar in his State of the Union speech Wednesday morning.

Addressing the European Parliament in Strasbourg, he will make a pitch for the EU to “punch above its weight, not below,” according to an EU diplomat briefed on the speech. Juncker’s message will be that with the Trump administration withdrawing the U.S. from the world, there is an opportunity for Europe to fill the gap. “There’s no logic at all in paying energy imports in dollar not euro,” an EU diplomat said.

source: https://www.politico.eu/article/jean...rade-currency/
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Cue Trump invading Brussels, Or is that only the Bushes & Germany?

As usual the EU logic is compelling.

Hmm
    $=60%
    €=20% as were the Mark+Franc were before the Euro.

I think that is a Kylie

for our old chum Drunker
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

There is only one reserve currency.

London property.

HTH BISDI.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Hmm
        $=60%

I think that is a Kylie

for our old chum Drunker
        Lets see what happens now that there is a moron in charge of the Dollar.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

It did fine under Bush jnr didn't it?
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

How do you know the Chair of the Federal Reserve is a moron?
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Very interesting development... and makes a lot of sense too. Why should the EU countries continue buying energy in dollars when the dollar is expensive and said energy comes from non-US countries, like Russia who are dumping dollars?
              Because commodities are priced in dollars.

Why do you think that pricing oil in any other currency would make the price more stable?

Comment

*this is not financial advice*

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                Because commodities are priced in dollars.
                And why is that? Because the US sell their debt to other countries. It's been that way for years. Now something very interesting is happening... US debt is being dumped. The most astonishing part is no one knows who's buying it. I suspect it's the FED. The day that secret is no longer a secret expect turmoil in the markets. Almost if the cliff edge is being engineered. When the US cannot sell their debt the dollar is going to experience massive problems. Suddenly you don't want to trade those commodities in a unstable currency.

Brace yourself.

For an understanding where we are in the debt cycle, watch the video below. Keep in mind the last time interest rates were this low was back in the 1930's, it took 20+ years to recover before everyone was smoking weed and having causal sex instead of shaking hands to say hello. Central banks have no tools in the toolbox anymore to advert a crisis let alone the impending debt crisis.

If you're not into crypto then consider insulating your wealth with metals like gold or silver. I mean the actual physical stuff not contract derivatives. The derivatives markets, IMO, will collapse as a result of the debt crisis.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Hmm
                  $=60%
                  That's a terribly poorly constructed chart. No title, no axes labels, no legend.

It could be showing the relative girth of your stomach compared to that of normal people for all I can tell.

Comment

Working...
                  X