• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a flat abroad through LTD company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a flat abroad through LTD company

I'm an IT contractor in the UK, I'm considering buying a flat abroad, work there remotely from time to time and rent it on Airbnb.
    I'm thinking if it's worth buying it through LTD company in my case.
    Would it be more tax efficient to buy it in cash or take a mortgage?

There is a lot of articles about buying through LTD company, but most of them are considering mortgage and buying in the UK only.

Although it will depend on the jurisdiction, and property ownership rules, generally the location of the property is not relevant, the tax will be the same regardless of whether its in the UK or abroad. Likewise a mortgage doesn't change the tax treatment,

I always err towards personal ownership of a property even if its a big tax hit - it keeps the asset separate from trading risks and locks you in to lower personal tax rates on growth in asset value, however other views and strategies exist. You need to take personalised advice on this.

Comment

You are going to struggle to get a mortgage with no permanent address aren't you? Particularly a foreign mortgage.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

To be honest, I have enough cash to buy it. However, not sure if it's worth it. Let me know if you know anyone trustworthy that could give me personalised advice. I doubt, Gorilla accounting won't help me much with that.

Comment

Originally posted by qbait View Post
          To be honest, I have enough cash to buy it. However, not sure if it's worth it. Let me know if you know anyone trustworthy that could give me personalised advice. I doubt, Gorilla accounting won't help me much with that.
          is the cash you have to buy it held personally, or in a company?

Comment

Working...
          X