• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you have to ask the price. You obviously cannot afford it!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have to ask the price. You obviously cannot afford it!!!

Mrs MF wanted a watch she saw in a magazine. Having tracked it down I found it was an expensive Omega Ladies watch, 20 Diamond Cluster, Gold, Rubies, Emeralds and other precious stones.

£400 she thought.

No. £2475 list price!!!

So methinks, right I'm not paying list price more than £1500 and it's taking the piss. So I do some snooping on the internet. £1500 but without the warranty. So go to a recommended dealer and get the price down to £1870 but not available until Jan 10th.

So then I phone the Omega Boutique in London and get told it's £2475!!

"Ok. Says I. I want it, whats the best price." says I
    "£2475. We don't discount, they sell themselves' - Says Ms Snotty
    "Ok, But I can buy it elsewhere"
    '"Well do so, we don't discount. We have pride in our products, the highstreet doesnt have pride in what they do. They discount their product to sell, we are also the manufacturer, we don't cheapen it. We are professionals, the highstreet have to compete with each other. As I said, it sells itself"
    "OK. SO what do I get for buying it from you then?' I asked
    "An extra years guarantee and extra services"
    "Like what?"
    "Services"
    "Like what exactly?"
    "Other services..." - she snidely carried on
    "Like????"

Eventually

"Do you know something love? You've got a really bad attitude it stinks and to be honest I don't want one of your watches now"

She's getting a digital watch from the service station now instead.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Mrs MF wanted a watch she saw in a magazine. Having tracked it down I found it was an expensive Omega Ladies watch, 20 Diamond Cluster, Gold, Rubies, Emeralds and other precious stones.

£400 she thought.

No. £2475 list price!!!

So methinks, right I'm not paying list price more than £1500 and it's taking the piss. So I do some snooping on the internet. £1500 but without the warranty. So go to a recommended dealer and get the price down to £1870 but not available until Jan 10th.

So then I phone the Omega Boutique in London and get told it's £2475!!

"Ok. Says I. I want it, whats the best price." says I
    "£2475. We don't discount, they sell themselves' - Says Ms Snotty
    "Ok, But I can buy it elsewhere"
    '"Well do so, we don't discount. We have pride in our products, the highstreet doesnt have pride in what they do. They discount their product to sell, we are also the manufacturer, we don't cheapen it. We are professionals, the highstreet have to compete with each other. As I said, it sells itself"
    "OK. SO what do I get for buying it from you then?' I asked
    "An extra years guarantee and extra services"
    "Like what?"
    "Services"
    "Like what exactly?"
    "Other services..." - she snidely carried on
    "Like????"

Eventually

"Do you know something love? You've got a really bad attitude it stinks and to be honest I don't want one of your watches now"

Samuels are doing good Casios for about £10.00 each.

Seriously, why not consider a classic Omega without all the glitz and glitter. I have a very simple vintage 18 carat solid gold Omega watch with brown leather strap. It looks great.
    Last edited by Denny; 18 December 2006, 20:45.

Comment

£400 she thought.
      She's asking a bit too much I reckon. £80 and you're sorted...

http://www.watch-clone.com/omega_watches.html

Comment

No pudding for you, methinks.

Seriously MF, there are some gorgeous watches out there for £1500, look around, you might even pick up a second hand cartier...

Re snotty sales persons, I always comfort myself with remembering the line from Abfab 'drop the attitude sweety, you work in a shop'

Comment

I was given one of those the other day as a free sample from a trade show, and I've been trying to offload it. Got loads of others too. Do you a good deal. Top quality.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I get several emails a day offering Rolex, Cartier, etc watches at keen prices. Shall I forward a few onto you MarillionFan?
            I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Bit chav like bling ain't it?
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

What you doing buying her something like that? Isn't there a clock in your kitchen?
                Drivel is my speciality

Comment

You tight git. Pay up, and get yourself one of these at the same time http://stuff.tv/news/id-4276/

Comment

Any watch that is over £200 with an electronic movement is a waste of money. It is far better to spend money on a mechanical watch that keeps it’s value. Oris (Switzerland) make some fantastic mechanical watches. I liked Omega in the days when they made traditional watches but in recent years they have gone for purely fashionable design and they look over the top.

Unfortunately my wind-up Omega that worked fin for twelve years went in for a services to an Omega dealer and it came back in worse condition. New glass fitted but cracked, and never kept proper time since.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X