• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Implications for buying to let abroad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Implications for buying to let abroad?

Hello,

I have been looking at the possibility of buying a villa in Florida to rent out and also visit regularly, with the option of retiring there eventually.

Does anyone know if there are any tax implications here in the UK if I want to buy out there? I'm not planning to make money, just break even and clear the mortgage off. The mortgage will be taken out in Florida, well that is what I am thinking.

Thanks

No idea. There must be better forums to ask than a contracting one?

What did your gladiator say?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did try and Google but couldn't find an answer. Will ask my accountant as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shailesh1 View Post
        I did try and Google but couldn't find an answer. Will ask my accountant as well.
        If Google doesn't know, what do you think are the chances of you finding an answer on here?
        My 2p worth:
        1 - Don't tell HMRC anything, and hope they don't find out about your overseas assets.
        2 - Buy some asbestos underpants...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I'm in Florida at the moment and the only advice I can give, is buy a pickup truck, never seen so many in my life...Mind you it is warm and watch out for the tree climbing alligators

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

And be sure to watch all those sinkhole programmes on 5.

That should put you off buying property in Florida forever.

Assuming the alligators & gun totting locals don't.

Yeeee haw.

Interactive Florida Sinkhole Map | Do you live near a sinkhole?

Wal-Mart back-to-school sign hung above guns, sparking outrage
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Hello,

I have been looking at the possibility of buying a villa in Florida to rent out and also visit regularly, with the option of retiring there eventually.

Does anyone know if there are any tax implications here in the UK if I want to buy out there? I'm not planning to make money, just break even and clear the mortgage off. The mortgage will be taken out in Florida, well that is what I am thinking.

Thanks
              What happened to shailesh?

I used to like him.

Nice chap.

Had a great collection of Gladiator Vids. And what a technique for bleeding the radiators!

Anyone seen the spoon?
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks
                Seriously, don't do it in Florida. I have two friends that own there own real-estate companies in Florida, the market for rental has collapsed. Property prices are falling every day.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Seriously, don't do it in Florida. I have two friends that own there own real-estate companies in Florida, the market for rental has collapsed. Property prices are falling every day.
                  Yes.

Mostly down holes in the ground.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                  X