• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie contractor & umbrella advice from PSL inside IR35 Public Sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie contractor & umbrella advice from PSL inside IR35 Public Sector

Hi I've been a sole trader for years then worked on a perm project which is now ending.

I've been keen to get a freelance contract as I work within marketing and roles are often scarce for perm.

a recruiter contacted me via Linkedin. I did an informal interview with a Gov client and they're keen for me to start in 2 weeks for a 3 month contract on an OK day rate. I didnt realise Umbrellas take almost £100 - £150 off of my day rate so now wish I'd told recruiter it was more. The recruiter has now passed me onto onboarding who now reveal I need a DBS check (which I've started & paid for) and I need to have a Umbrella company I use. Even tho I know the role isn't really IR 35 (the client as public sector has deemed 'it may fall inside it). They run their payroll via Giant. Have confirmed I can't go Ltd Company and must choose 1 of these Umbrella companies before they can line uo a contract I can sign.

My head hurts reading / talking to companies. I've searched on here and elsewhere for reviews. please can anyone advise on the best / worse and must avoid?

I want to tie this up tomorrow & choose a limited company.

My choices of preferred suppliers from recruiter AMS are:

Advance

Brookson

First Freelance = Mixed reviews online their website / team were good to speak with anyone found them OK?

Giant Group = NO

(I've ruled these out as they have such bad reviews on Google & Glassdoor altho they will be doing the payroll so I am worried they'll mess that up anyway)

ICS Umbrella

Independent Contractor Limited

Intouch Accounting

JSA Group

Liberty Bishop

Liquid Friday = Nice website - seems to have some OK review on here?

NASA Group

NumberMill

Orange Genie = Mixed reviews on here ?

Smartwork.com

wecontract

Ideally I want a dedicated account mgr, 6 days a week help, multiple times for payroll, no fee for set up or leave, perks, app, ability to have SMS alerts & online portal.

I feel that for 3 months an Umbrella is bearable but realise it's not perfect since changes and I wont be able to even claim my expenses to and from work like I maybe able if I was a LTD company.

Any tips?

Ta

Personally, I have not heard of a lot of those companies, either on here or from other contractors I know who use umbrellas.
    The ones I have heard of have not had good feedback.
    The only one I have heard of that has had good feedback is NASA Group. The feedback was not on here but a friend uses them and always says they have been really good.

Have you asked if you can use any others provided they are vetted? I am currently using Contractor Umbrella and they have been great and cover most of your requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
      Personally, I have not heard of a lot of those companies, either on here or from other contractors I know who use umbrellas.
      The only one I have heard of that has had good feedback is NASA Group. The feedback was not on here but a friend uses them and always says they have been really good.

Have you asked if you can use any others provided they are vetted? I am currently using Contractor Umbrella and they have been great and cover most of your requirements.
      I went with Contractor Umbrella as well but the Agent was willing to carry out diligence and add them to their list. Unfortunately they do seem to be in the minority by doing this.

I'd say to the OP that you push the agent to use CU and see if they are willing to on-board them and add them to the list. I don't believe CU pay the kickbacks the agents want so if that's part of the requirements an agent has to get them on board it won't happen.

OP - You say you've seen some reviews on here? Is that just from trawling the threads?

The best way to research each company is to use the Google search method. Type the following in to Google.

<Umbrella Name> site:forums.contractoruk.com

Tips? Don't work in the PS if you aren't happy with it?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post

Thanks I'll check out NASA. From reading reviews on here and on Glassdoor and Google reviews I'm avoiding Giant like the plague. Any others to avoid? Brookson seems to have bad reviews on here and Orange Genie is mixed.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I went with Contractor Umbrella as well but the Agent was willing to carry out diligence and add them to their list. Unfortunately they do seem to be in the minority by doing this.

I'd say to the OP that you push the agent to use CU and see if they are willing to on-board them and add them to the list. I don't believe CU pay the kickbacks the agents want so if that's part of the requirements an agent has to get them on board it won't happen.

OP - You say you've seen some reviews on here? Is that just from trawling the threads?

The best way to research each company is to use the Google search method. Type the following in to Google.

<Umbrella Name> site:forums.contractoruk.com

Tips? Don't work in the PS if you aren't happy with it?
          Ta
          For my research I've googled companies on the preferred supplier list, read Glassdoor contractor & employee reviews, trustpilot and searched their names in here. Bad reviews on here include Giant, Brookson

OK reviews / mixed include Orange Genie

Good reviews Contractor Umbrella - I asked my AMS recruiter today if I can use them and they said no it'll fail the on boarding they only use the preferred list! Hmm

It's almost making me want to ditch the contract - but I do have a mortgage to pay

I'm worried about having a dodgy umbrella that doesnt pay on time and I lose income. However I guess I'll just have to kick up a fuss 'if' that happens and grill the ones I talk to today as the recruiter cant onboard me if I dont have an umbrella and apparently I 'may' fall inside IR35 so I cant even go limited company. Public sector (arghhhh!)

I'll also check out NASA and Intouch accounting who are on the list and some people on here have mentioned are OK

cheers

Comment

Hi LondonRealist, if you PM me, I can see if we have any contacts there! If not I can give you some advice on the others.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRealist View Post
              no it'll fail the on boarding they only use the preferred list! Hmm
              Hmmm indeed. How do they know it will fail unless they know full well it doesn't come with a brown envelope stuff with cash?

Really rubbish situation.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                How do they know it will fail unless they know full well it doesn't come with a brown envelope stuff with cash?
                then!

Comment

Working...
                X