• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited to Composite

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited to Composite

Hi All,

I will have been contracting for 3 years in February. Initially I setup a limited company and employed the services of a 'well-known' managment company.

However, in August last year I decided to move to a composite company with a 'lesser-known' managment company and stopped trading with the limited company. Simply because it was far easier and I knew where I was financially from month to month!

Today I have been reading this forum and other publications and realised that I may have made a poor decision! Unfortunately I have notified companies house that the company has ceased trading and my old managment company is preparing the final accounts.

1. What should I do now?
    2. Should I move back to a limited company?
    3. Would it be best to use an umbrella company?
    4. Am I likely to be investigated?

AH PANTS, ta muchly...

J

Oh FFS SEARCH!!!!! GOD DAMMIT!

THIS IS LIKE THE MILLIONTH THREAD ON THIS IN THE LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Go Ltd.

Next...............

Comment

Originally posted by Rudster
        1. What should I do now?
        1. Yes.
        2. Yes.
        3. Yes.
        4. Geoff Capes.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I was in the same boat, I have just started a new company with Nixon Williams, very quick and easy, they just need copies of invoices etc each month.

I was with a big umbrella and have jacked it in, their days are numbered anyway.
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

very amusing everybody

Comment

Hi Rudster and welcome to the board

Firsts of all don't take it personally. We have been receiving at least 1 post a day from newbies worried about what to do with their Ltd/Umbrella and bladibladibla recently and it's frustrating to have to answer the same old questions, particularly when a good browsing through the forum (and the stickies in particular) will give you all the answers you need (and should also make it clear what the general view of the board with regards to the Umbrella/Composite v Ltd is).

As somebody who has started contracting under an "artificial" Managed Company and has just created his own Ltd, my personal advice is to go Ltd, get a good accountant (a few good ones are mentioned in the various threads) and get them to sort all the practicalities for you. It will always be cheaper than using an Umbrella, it will guarantee you better returns and, most of all, it will put you in control of your business and virtually eliminate the risk of being found guilty of tax evasion by HMRC

Good luck
              BI

P.S.: don't give up and keep on posting. We can seem unfriendly sometimes, but we are nice people after all (well, most of us). Just make sure that your posts are:
              a) relevant and instructive
              b) amusing and entertaining
              c) posted in the proper area

You'll be surprised by the constructive feedback you'll get if you stick to those simple rules
              Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Originally posted by Rudster
                Hi All,

I will have been contracting for 3 years in February. Initially I setup a limited company and employed the services of a 'well-known' managment company.

However, in August last year I decided to move to a composite company with a 'lesser-known' managment company and stopped trading with the limited company. Simply because it was far easier and I knew where I was financially from month to month!

Today I have been reading this forum and other publications and realised that I may have made a poor decision! Unfortunately I have notified companies house that the company has ceased trading and my old managment company is preparing the final accounts.

1. What should I do now?

AH PANTS, ta muchly...

J
                Are you, or have you ever been a 'Labour voter' ?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Hi Troll

Thanks for you response, I guess I knew my post would be shot down and beleive it or not I did read a lot of the stickies hence my concern!

Basically, I was just trying to establish whether changing from Limited to Composite and then back to Limited is going to make me stand out like a sore thumb and prone to investigation!

Plus, when should I make the switch ... is it worth waiting until April next year to coincide with the tax year or should I do ASAP?

Ta again...

J

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                    Are you, or have you ever been a 'Labour voter' ?
                    ... let's put it this way, I certainly wont be voting Labour next election!
                    Last edited by Rudster; 20 December 2006, 10:13.

Comment

Working...
                    X